Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a lengthy report today, Bloomberg Businessweek takes a look at Apple's upcoming "spaceship" campus in Cupertino, noting that the project is currently one year behind schedule and roughly $2 billion over budget.
Since 2011, the budget for Apple's Campus 2 has ballooned from less than $3 billion to nearly $5 billion, according to five people close to the project who were not authorized to speak on the record. If their consensus estimate is accurate, Apple's expansion would eclipse the $3.9 billion being spent on the new World Trade Center complex in New York, and the new office space would run more than $1,500 per square foot--three times the cost of many top-of-the-line downtown corporate towers.
According to the report, Apple is working to shave $1 billion from the cost of the project before beginning construction.

apple_campus_2_rendering.jpg
Bloomberg Businessweek pins much of the responsibility for the cost issues on Steve Jobs, whose insistence on design and construction quality as well as unusual and expensive construction methods have defined the project.
The true expense of the campus lies not in green tech, though, as much as the materials--as well as what product designers call "fit and finish." As with Apple's products, Jobs wanted no seam, gap, or paintbrush stroke showing; every wall, floor, and even ceiling is to be polished to a supernatural smoothness. All of the interior wood was to be harvested from a specific species of maple, and only the finer-quality "heartwood" at the center of the trees would be used, says one person briefed on the plan last year.
Among other unique details contributing to project costs:

- 6 square kilometers of curved glass manufactured by Seele in Germany using specialized processes to prevent clouding or distortions. Seele has doubled the size of its production facility to accommodate the project.

- Per Jobs' orders, gaps between surfaces should be no more than 1/32 of an inch, far tighter than the typical 1/8 inch standard in U.S. construction.

- Polished concrete ceilings are to be cast in molds and then raised into position to ensure uniformity, rather than being cast in place. The requirement "left one person involved in the project speechless."

The report notes that investors concerned over Apple's falling stock price and looking for the company to return more cash to shareholders are questioning Apple's commitment to following through on Jobs' vision for the new campus. The company may, however, have little choice in the matter if it seeks to maintain its image as an iconic and visionary company in the post-Jobs era.

Article Link: Steve Jobs' Requirements for 'Fit and Finish' Leading to Massive Cost Overruns for Apple's New Campus

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
How does this translate to their products? Steve wanted perfection at any cost. How do we as consumers know we are getting great products if this is the direction Apple will be taking?

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
Meh. While I admire the attempt to create something great, why bother? I would think most people want their products to be good and could not give a crap about the building.

Idea to shave about 4 billion. Make it a normal building.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
If you are going to spend billions on a new building, you had better do it right. I would probably take a vacation just to marvel at the beauty of the building and campus. Some folks just will not understand that. What is 2 billion more to Apple really??

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I'm all for spending the money you earn however you like, and I appreciate fine craftsmanship, but it sounds like much of the cost here arose from arbitrary requirements. I don't really care what Apple does (it's not open to the public anyway), but if I were in their position, I think I would have opted for a second smaller campus on the east coast instead of allowing the budget to balloon. :D

bazinga!!

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2012
Belgium
Steve was brilliant but a nutcase when it comes to interior design. He even once ordered to paint the machines in his production hall when his father or mother came to visit (I don't remember which one) and several machines broke down.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
All of the interior wood was to be harvested from a specific species of maple, and only the finer-quality "heartwood" at the center of the trees would be used, says one person briefed on the plan last year
What happens with all the rest of the wood? Just discarded? Ridiculous demands like this often don't feel very environmentally friendly.

MattJessop

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
I've gotta be honest, the level of dedication and perfection they put into this should match what they claim to do for products. They have the money, so I say why not.

Is it the most efficient way to spend the money? No. But that drive for perfection should really be embodied in every facet of the company if thats the standard you expect, including the building. That's what I like about Apple, the tiny little details that make such a difference.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
For those that question the need for a building like this read up on the Pixar studios and how the layout of the offices provides for an unparalleled collaborative effort between departments.

thepowerofnone

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Meh. While I admire the attempt to create something great, why bother? I would think most people want their products to be good and could not give a crap about the building.

Idea to shave about 4 billion. Make it a normal building.

I don't think that you understand the importance of the building - its a symbol of Apple and Steve clearly wanted the building to reflect the products. People don't seem to appreciate just how crazy the tolerances on the iPhone 5 are and how much they must cost to implement, but at the end of the day they make the device what it is. Compare the iPhone 5 and the new BB Z10, they have similar designs but the iPhone 5 is put together in more expensive and complex ways at high tolerance, but the result is a significantly more impressive product. Its the same with buildings.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
News source:
I predict a massive $2 billion cost overrun on a project that hasn't broken ground or even hired contractors yet.

Where are the facts?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If Apple doesn't go with it, then the entire company is dead to me.

I don't even know who's products I would buy anymore. I think I would have to found my own company just to replace Apple, just so I can have products built to the standards that Apple had when Jobs was at the healm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.