Steve Jobs retiring...?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gregdrummeraz, Sep 8, 2008.

1. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

What if that's why they are pushing this to the media so much?

What better way to go out the way he came in, with a new iPod?

I do not wanna see him go. But what if this is it? :(

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

He doesn't really need to retire since he doesn't really work at Apple. I don't think that they will want to make a big deal about his retirement since the media will make a big enough deal about it anyway.

3. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

You think he doesn't work? huh.. interesting...

But I think this is a possibility. a sad one.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Well I'm sure he does work, but not as much as other heads of companies. He probably does as much (maybe a little more) as Bill Gates does at Microsoft now.

5. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Uhh, he came in way before the iPod. Way to ignore years of history.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

haha that's true. I guess the OP forgot about the part where he cofounded Apple...

7. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

I meant imac.. and return.. I know all the history of Apple.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm going to cut you some slack as you are probably still smarting from your loss of $85,000, the prospect of your stunna car fading and your feelings about your sister but where the hell did you get this? It defies any logic or common sense. I'll refrain from giving you a lesson in business and how leadership transitions are managed. :rolleyes:

9. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Well I'm no MBA, but I admit this thought has been lurking in the back of my mind too.

And actually, a friend of mine is a very influential (albeit conservative) Mutual Fund manager, and he says there are just too many uncertainties about Steve's health right now. He says he cannot recommend investing in Apple until Apple has proven that it can succeed without Steve at the helm. Don't shoot the messenger -- but maybe this is the right time for Apple and Steve to go their separate ways.

10. alFR macrumors 68020

Hey, he'll have heard it from his "guy in Beijing" or one of his other homies. Word.

11. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

I think that the OP has a point, but tying the retirement in with a few new iPod colours sounds a bit lame.

SJ: 'Here's the iPod Nano Orange [Turns to leave the stage, but then turns back again] ... oh and one more thing, I'm retiring from Apple and I start at Microsoft today.'

12. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Actually I think it'll be Psystar.....

13. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

You couldn't be more wrong. And this isn't fanboism writing. There isn't a decision made without Steve's approval. He is involved in every product, project, event, department, etc. Every single person is terrified of him and most won't even look him in the eye when they speak to him for fear that they'll end up "too involved" with him. I know from experience, Jobs works more than most CEOs.

14. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Unless he wants to do different things, I can not see him retiring as the figurehead of great company. Gates hasn't really run MS for a while, Balmer has that control.

Steve's health, while a concern, is not stressed as much with his current position as it would be say as a full fledge CEO.

15. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I think Steve should leave for a year, but not tell anyone. Then when everybody sees Apple can easily survive without Jobs the stock will stay stable. He can then leave as CEO, but remain on the Board of Directors and as the Chairman.

16. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Someone should add a list of the OP's previous threads to his sig, just so we know who we're dealing with...

17. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I think Apple needs a new CEO, TBH.

Dont get my wrong, Steve done a lot of great stuff for Apple, but things have been going down hill recently.

18. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Yeah - what he said... Gregdrummeraz still owes me a Mercedes!:p and pic's of knocking his sister -CLEAN OUT.

19. dilbert4life macrumors regular

dilbert4life

huh....?

What sort of things are going down hill? Where are these hills? Because I'm sure if anything is going downhill at Apple, it would be the large bags of money that they have made from recent iPod, iPhone, iMac, and iTunes Store sales. Yeah, nothing is really going "downhill" for Apple; unless by "downhill" you actually mean "uphill.":apple:

20. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I was going to explain but I was at school and I needed to get to my lesson...

For Apple shareholders its going great, but as quality of Apple products go down, prices seem to be going up!

As a quick example, on my MacBook, if I push my hand down (not even too hard) on the plastic next to the trackpad button it clicks on whatever the cursor is hovered over! Dosent seem so much of a big deal, but gets very annoying, and considering the money I payed for this thing, its unacceptable! Its not even a problem with just mine, it happens on all the Apple Store demo units, too!

Plus, I got condensation in my iMac's screen, too! After some quick browsing it was obviously a known problem and loads of people where getting it! Why the **** havent Apple fixed this problem on the new iMacs!!!

Plus, the money I am paying for a 2.1GHz laptop with 1GB of RAM is stupid when it is compared to a Sony laptop that is £50 cheaper!

And dont even get me started on the iPhone!

Thats whats going downhill!

21. dilbert4life macrumors regular

dilbert4life

(Gotta do it!) You are comparing Apple's to oranges; which doesn't compute. $100 cheaper for a windoze machine that has to run Vista (Unless your a Linux fan)? I don't think your losing anything by sticking with your Macbook.

Besides, that really has nothing to do with Steve Jobs, although he does approve everything. Steve Jobs was (re)hired into Apple back in '97 because of Apple's need for good software (NeXT), and that is what he has provided since then, plus much, much more.

I say "Thank you Apple, and thank you Steve Jobs. Live long and Prosper, both of you."

22. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I see you havent said anything defending the bad quality of Apple products, though.

If I was to buy a Sony laptop, I would install OSx86.

I do agree that Steve provided Apple with some great software more, I mean the iPod is basically what put Apple back on the map! However, like I said, things have gone downhill recently.

23. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

He's the CEO of the company! And that means he handles everything..... absolutely everything! (Including the MMe failure and 2.0 firmware)

Those who say he doesnt do much should probably read some B Mags and try to figure who and what a CEO is!

@OP.... sadly those were my first thoughts when AI pressed that there'll be the 'one more thing'...... later I realized that probably this is not it or he's far too sick and needs to come down!

We'll know in an hour! <sigh... makes me sad>

24. dilbert4life macrumors regular

dilbert4life

Well, I was trying more to stick with the theme of the thread. But......

When enough people complain about something, Apple has always responded positively. Show me a non-Apple computer company that hasn't had hardware issues, and I'll show you a company that doesn't exist. Don't complain about Apple and then say you are going to switch to another company that is just as bad if not worse. Everyone has problems, and Apple (specifically Steve Jobs) handles them wonderfully. Technology doesn't always work all the time, what are you going to do?

What makes Apple Apple is the integration of hardware with software. This is what Steve Jobs gave us, and he has no reason to stop giving it too us. Once again, "Long live Steve Jobs!" (You like how I brought it right back to forum topic? {sort of} Yeah, that's how I roll. lol):apple:

25. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

My point was that both MacBooks and the current generation of iMacs (the aluminum ones) have been out for a long time, and I have seen a LOT of complaints about the condensation problems in the iMacs, and Apple have NOT fixed the problems in the new units.