Steve Jobs' Thoughts on Accepting Apple's CEO Position and More

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Last week, Forbes published the full text of Steve Jobs' deposition to the Securities and Exchange Commission. While a number of stories have been circulating around the internet about Jobs' take on the stock options scandal, perhaps most interesting was Jobs' attitude and state of mind surrounding his return to Apple and the role of Apple CEO.

Back in 1996, after Apple announced that it would purchase NeXT, Steve Jobs returned to Apple as the "interim CEO" while a replacement was sought. Most casual observers felt that Jobs would certainly remain as CEO despite the interim title. Jobs finally dropped the interim title at the 2000 Macworld Expo. TechCrunch provides a good summary of quotes from the deposition about Steve Jobs' thought process during that time and that transitioning to Apple as full-time CEO was not as obvious a decision as one might have suspected:
Q: And did you take on the role then as CEO?
Jobs: Well, no, I did not. I was very concerned that Pixar was a newly public company with shareholders, employees, and I felt that - - to my knowledge there had never been a CEO of two public companies before. So I felt if I took the job, the Pixar shareholders and employees would think I was abandoning them.
Q. Mm-hmm
Jobs. And I decided I just - - that I couldn’t do that. So I took the title of interim CEO and agreed to come back for 90 days to help recruit a full-time CEO.
Jobs, of course, was later unable to find a suitable candidate and eventually slid into the position himself.

Jobs also explains that the reason for the stock options was that he felt unappreciated by Apple's board despite the amount of work he put into the company during those years. Jobs, of course, was cleared of wrongdoing with respect to the stock option investigation.

Article Link: Steve Jobs' Thoughts on Accepting Apple's CEO Position and More

jamesybsu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Maybe the SEC should have been looking into the real problems with business, like Bernard Madoff, but I guess thats to obvious for them.

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
According to the transcript, this deposition was videotaped. (Perhaps they always are.) Anyone know if it's available as a matter of public record somewhere?

Jul 29, 2008
Thank God for Jobs

Apple at that time was run by idiots, including/especially the board. Many people worked hard and contributed to bringing Apple back from the brink. But make no mistake: It was Jobs who turned Apple around. And if Jobs says the board did not appreciate him, I can only believe that he's right on that score, too.

mutuz

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2009
Anyone know if there are plans on releasing a book (bio) about Steve? I've seen the movie, Pirates of Silicone Valley, but movies are sparse on details. I would love to read how he and Woz started what is now Apple!:)

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
Jobs requests to be shown looking and feeling badly? A joke?

Tell me about this in the transcript:

SEC Questioner at 9:25:20 said:
Now, before we begin today, your counsel mentioned, and I believe you mentioned, that you're not feeling well this morning. So I just want to make sure that you're comfortable proceeding with your deposition.
Steve Jobs said:
Yeah, I'm fine. The only request I would have is if you do end up playing my deposition before a jury, if you could just play them this part, where I'm feeling really bad or I look really bad or I look grimaced or anything. It's not because of the deposition or anything, it's just because.
SEC Questioner said:
Fair enough.
The wording sounds a bit obscure, but unless there's a "not" missing somewhere, it sounds like he's requesting to be shown looking and feeling poorly to a jury. :confused: Is this perhaps a joke, and laughter doesn't get transcribed?

Or was this part of some dark master plan by El Jobso to manipulate the Apple stock price by scaring juries, muhahahaha <<evil laugh>>.

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
Steve Jobs is my God.

If he stayed on board, we probably wouldn't have Microsoft Windows by now. I think Steve Jobs as a goal on his head and that goal is to repair his biggest mistake of all time "Microsoft".

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The wording sounds a bit obscure, but unless there's a "not" missing somewhere, it sounds like he's requesting to be shown looking and feeling poorly to a jury. :confused: Is this perhaps a joke, and laughter doesn't get transcribed?
I would say it's a lighthearted "sympathy vote" joke. I doubt laughter is transcribed in such depositions.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Anyone know if there are plans on releasing a book (bio) about Steve? I've seen the movie, Pirates of Silicone Valley, but movies are sparse on details. I would love to read how he and Woz started what is now Apple!:)
There already are bios of Steve Jobs available. You can buy the audio book: "The Second Coming of Steve Jobs" and the audio book called "iCon". The Second Coming of Steve Jobs is available via iTunes. I don't believe iCon is. iCon comes after the Second Coming of Steve Jobs. It goes way back, before Steve was fired from Apple, talks about buying Pixar and starting NeXt. Its a good read....or listen in this case!

intel

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2005
Leave britney alone:(

Leave Steve alone, you are lucky he even took the position :( leave Steve alone :(

:D

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Pirates of Silicon Valley is based on an excellent book called "Fire in the Valley: The Making of The Personal Computer" ISBN 0071358927. It's not just about the beginnings of Apple, but it does cover it very well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.