Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

145620-jobs_gates_d.jpg

Steve Jobs and Bill Gates on stage at D: All Things Digital in 2007

Valleywag reports that it is hearing that Apple CEO Steve Jobs has "tentatively agreed" to appear on stage at The Wall Street Journal's D: All Things Digital conference scheduled for June 1st through 3rd. The major business and technology conference, to be held in Rancho Palos Verdes, California, brings together many of the biggest names in technology for extensive discussions about the industry.

An appearance at D would not only speak to Jobs' continuing physical vitality but also his willingness to grapple with some of the thorny new controversies surrounding his company, including its newfound power over news media publishers and rival Adobe. At an Apple event, Jobs is in control; on a stage at D, he'd be fielding questions from the likes of the Journal's Walt Mossberg and All Things D's Kara Swisher.

Jobs last appeared at D in 2007, participating in a one-on-one Q&A with Mossberg and later sharing the stage with Microsoft founder Bill Gates for a discussion of the two companies' relationship and role in the industry.

Meanwhile, many observers are still anxiously waiting for news on Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC). Apple has yet to announce dates for the conference, which is usually held each June and where the company has taken to introducing its new iPhone models. Daring Fireball's John Gruber has hinted that an announcement is coming either today or tomorrow, depending on whether Gruber's tweet made at 12:20 AM Eastern Time this morning is interpreted to have been posted yesterday or today.

Article Link: Steve Jobs to Appear at 'D: All Things Digital' Conference in Early June?

Update: All Things D's Kara Swisher confirms that Jobs will be the opening-night speaker for this year's conference.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Grubers tweet was made 15 hours ago according to his tweet page. That would mean an announcement about WWDC would be today.

The actual time stamp is 12:20 AM today Eastern Time, which is Gruber's time. So that's why there's a question as to whether the tweet was made yesterday ("body" time) or today (actual time).

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
Wow. This could to be really interesting. Though it would be even more amusing to see Jobs with Steve Ballmer :D

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Steve is Back! The tech world needs to jump on his ship or be left behind <cough> Adobe.

You stand in his way and your ship will get SUNK! No matter how BIG or small you are <cough> Jason Chen & Gizmodo.

I really hope he agrees to this.

This will be HIS 4th Appearance on All Things D btw NOT 3rd.

Garion

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark, Europe
Please, for the love of God, don't let that Kara Swisher lady screw up another Steve Jobs interview!

Her giggly blabbery performance the last time with Steve and Bill was painfully embarrasing to watch! To be honest, I'm surprised to see that this lady wasn't fired from AllThingsD after her toe curling disaster of a performance in 2007.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Please, for the love of God, don't let that Kara Swisher lady screw up another Steve Jobs interview!

Her giggly blabbery performance the last time with Steve and Bill was painfully embarrasing to watch! To be honest, I'm surprised to see that this lady wasn't fired from AllThingsD after her toe curling disaster of a performance the last time.

Ya. Walt's much better.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA

Her giggly blabbery performance the last time with Steve and Bill was painfully embarrasing to watch! To be honest, I'm surprised to see that this lady wasn't fired from AllThingsD after her toe curling disaster of a performance in 2007.

Actually, she was very aggressive with her questions, then "uncle" walt was. The balance of the two were great!

Yes she did blabber but, she's a woman, so cut her some slack.

Walt played the lesser aggressive role, since he has a relationship with Steve & even Bill I'm assuming, so there was a semi- respect level at times.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I'd really look forward to this. His appearance in 2007 was fascinating if a bit tame.

Actually it was way LESS interesting than anticipated because Mr. Mossberg was a lukewarm interviewer AT BEST...well, not even that; he was absolutely insipid, weak and boring in his questions. A total WASTE of a golden opportunity to have a really good and interesting chat with SJ and Gates on the history of both companies, their successes AND blunders.

What better time to ask about what happened to the Apple ///? SJ's connections with Woz? Their comments on Pirates of the Silicon Valley? And on and on...instead, Mr. Mossberg asked totally predictable questions that were as exciting as Prince Charles's outfits.

As for Kara Swisher, she was simply the wrong person at the wrong time; totally ignorant of the real issues, she simply played the "naughty girl" role that no one cares about.

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
Steve's quaking in his boots

Is there anything Steve is less scared of than fielding questions from Walt Mossberg??

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Grubers tweet was made 15 hours ago according to his tweet page. That would mean an announcement about WWDC would be today.

Published time is

Tue Apr 27 04:20:41 +0000 2010

Thant would make it 00:20:41 EST (where he is located) Difference of 5 time zones plus 1 hour for Daylight savings. (4 hours less) or 12:20:41 AM

WWDC has to be the week of June 21st to June 25th or May 31st to June 4th (not likely)

DMThomas

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
The actual time stamp is 12:20 AM today Eastern Time, which is Gruber's time. So that's why there's a question as to whether the tweet was made yesterday ("body" time) or today (actual time).

On MacBreak Weekly live just now, Gruber said "any hour now".

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
"thorny new controversies" yeah, that's one name for them...

Its interesting that these guy did some stuff, that today would be considered illegal and just not allowed anymore. But over time they have helped change the laws that gave them the freedom to get here they are now, but find it hard to give the same courtesy to the new generation.

Oh well that how it is. Can't wait to see what new laws are put into place to keep the new generation from moving forward.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Actually it was way LESS interesting than anticipated because Mr. Mossberg was a lukewarm interviewer AT BEST...well, not even that; he was absolutely insipid, weak and boring in his questions. A total WASTE of a golden opportunity to have a really good and interesting chat with SJ and Gates on the history of both companies, their successes AND blunders.

I guess the media is scared of asking hard question to people they consider dangerous and vindictive.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Don't fool yourselves.... Steve is ALWAYS in control.

Do you honestly think anyone in the tech world is going to ask Steve a hardball question that he doesn't want to answer???

I wouldn't mind seeing Anderson Cooper sitting down with Mr. Jobs. I like his style of direct and repeated questioning until the interviewee finally gives a valid answer or just looks plain stupid by dancing around the question.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
At an Apple event, Jobs is in control; on a stage at D, he'd be fielding questions from the likes of the Journal's Walt Mossberg and All Things D's Kara Swisher.

Huh, an interview with Walt Mossberg is a much safer venue for Steve Jobs than an Apple event.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Published time is

Tue Apr 27 04:20:41 +0000 2010

Thant would make it 00:20:41 EST (where he is located) Difference of 5 time zones plus 1 hour for Daylight savings. (4 hours less) or 12:20:41 AM

WWDC has to be the week of June 21st to June 25th or May 31st to June 4th (not likely)

I'm dumb but where are people getting this "publish time" at? When I look at twitter it shows this :

16 hours ago my time is about 9PM last night.

Attachments

• grubertweet.jpg
    grubertweet.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 107

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
I'm dumb but where are people getting this "publish time" at? When I look at twitter it shows this :

16 hours ago my time is about 9PM last night.

I looked at the HTML source code of that twitter status.

HTML:
  <div class="hentry u-gruber status" id="status_12926134356"
>
    <span class="status-body">
    <span class="status-content">
                  <span class="entry-content">Sorry, I'm too busy with this Gizmodo/Gawker legal thing to coyly hint that WWDC will be announced tomorrow.</span>
          </span>
    <span class="meta entry-meta" data='{}'>
  <a class="entry-date" rel="bookmark" href="http://twitter.com/gruber/status/12926134356">
    <span class="published timestamp" data="{time:'Tue Apr 27 04:20:41 +0000 2010'}">about 16 hours ago</span></a>
  <span>via <a href="http://www.atebits.com/" rel="nofollow">Tweetie</a></span>

</span>

</span>
</div>

Here....
HTML:
<span class="published timestamp" data="{time:'Tue Apr 27 04:20:41 +0000 2010'}">about 16 hours ago</span>

You can also just right click on about 16 hours ago and then click on Inspect Element if you are using Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.