Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Think of a future "Mac Pro" as a "service" rather than a big bulky product. I honestly think that's how Steve sees it.

I am still only beginning to grok why the Cloud is so important to Apple's vision of the future. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, where Apple launches it's own satellite network or something...Here is what I started to consider this evening:

Instead of merely distributing data on the Cloud, what if we we saw Apple build distributing processing power into the next OS, and used their new massive data farms to churn renderings, simulations, etc.. Mondo power could be accessed over the Net.

For a subscription service starting at $100 or year or whatever...you could batch render any 3d model or mathematical formula remotely on Apple's processor farm. Your OS would tap into Apple's service..and attain Gigaflops of power. Software vendors could write easy hooks in the SDK, so that their application could tap into it.

Granted 95% of apps have no use for such power. But the power users would dig it...and a big battleship computer like the current MacPro would cease to have much relevance.

Apple would secure another revenue stream, and make both end-users and vendors all the more dependent upon Apple.

Additionally Apple could sell this "Mac Pro service" to hundreds of millions of customers on a as-needed basis. It wouldn't even matter what device you were using: iphones, iPads, Macs...All could tap the same power. Surely Apple would begin to conceive, program and pitch true next generation applications that utilize virtual reality, and AI at a whole new level. Apple could use its marketing whiz to make customers line up to access Apple's Massive SkyNet.

The circle would then be complete: Jobs would be the very Big Brother he satirized with the 1984 commercial. ;)

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Isn't this service already offered by Amazon ?

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
As powerful standalone machines, quite a few people still need Mac Pros. On the other hand, powerful machines can still coexist with the "cloud". In the case that the cloud is blown away due to many unpredictable causes, one can still get things done with a powerful standalone machine. Still, many top-secret things are rather done with standalone machines so that supercomputers will be around for quite some time.

reebzor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Cloud computing is moving faster than US ISP's can support. Apple cant expect users to buy into a service like that while they have to maintain a 250gb/mo cap. That is unrealistic.

Actually, capped bandwidth and speeds make all of this "cloud" talk a little unrealistic. ISP's are completely at fault for stunting the growth of cloud based technologies. /rant

Still though, I don't feel like the personal computer is going anywhere. The reason we get this type of speculation with the Mac Pro is because Apple doesnt want us to buy a Mac Pro that we can upgrade and use for 5-7 years. Apple wants us to buy a new Macbook Pro every 2-3 years once the non-upgradable parts become obsolete (CPU's, GPU's, etc)

secondhandloser

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2011
Wash, DC/ HSV, AL
Cloud computing is moving faster than US ISP's can support. Apple cant expect users to buy into a service like that while they have to maintain a 250gb/mo cap. That is unrealistic.

Actually, capped bandwidth and speeds make all of this "cloud" talk a little unrealistic. ISP's are completely at fault for stunting the growth of cloud based technologies. /rant

Still though, I don't feel like the personal computer is going anywhere. The reason we get this type of speculation with the Mac Pro is because Apple doesnt want us to buy a Mac Pro that we can upgrade and use for 5-7 years. Apple wants us to buy a new Macbook Pro every 2-3 years once the non-upgradable parts become obsolete (CPU's, GPU's, etc)

I came in here to post the first part of this.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Your idea was invented 40 years ago. It's called video dumb terminals connected to minicomputers.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
Heavy-duty cloud computing will work for rendering etc. (provided ISP's play ball) but the net's inherent latency would never work for stuff like music and AV.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

Isn't this the truth. There are area's that are still on dial up. I, along with others who are in the Mac Pro family are wonderin what the future holds for the Mac Pro.

drjrg1

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
Mississippi
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I was about to order a new DT horse with every thing- to go with my new AIR purchased 5 weeks ago - which is now outdated by the new release. So I don't intend to purchase a new super desktop. I had been "fantasizing" on Apple's web site and last week received a note from Apple ( I didn't know they watched the carts) that they had no FireWire to FireWire cables anymore-personally I felt that was a big hint that the BIG MAC was soon to change. So am waiting to buy one while I sit and play with my new outdated MacBook AIR!

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Just let me know when 10Gb NIC's and guaranteed bandwidth to match with no data caps happens and the cloud will be in business. Until then it is an overused phrase to blow up bubbles. Nothing more.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN

Exactly. This is also the reason, by the way, that Apple has converted their "desktop" line into immobile laptops, save the MacPro. The long-awaited "xMac" will never be.

Your idea was invented 40 years ago. It's called video dumb terminals connected to minicomputers.

I was going to say... I though we evolved PAST having gigantic, building-sized, shared computers... why would we go back to that model when it only appeals to 0.6% of the population?

For a subscription service starting at $100 or year or whatever...you could batch render any 3d model or mathematical formula remotely on Apple's processor farm. Your OS would tap into Apple's service..and attain Gigaflops of power. Software vendors could write easy hooks in the SDK, so that their application could tap into it.

If this comes true, I'm going to immediately tap that thing to mine Bitcoins.

-Clive

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I was going to say... I though we evolved PAST having gigantic, building-sized, shared computers... why would we go back to that model when it only appeals to 0.6% of the population?

I don't know that Mac Pros are going to be replaced by the cloud anytime soon (maybe some day, and probably in Korea or Australia or someplace where there's better internet infrastructure, and not the US), but the vast majority of the population is now making pretty heavy use of data centers and centralized computing. But it's much more iPhone than Mac Pro....

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
I don't know that Mac Pros are going to be replaced by the cloud anytime soon (maybe some day, and probably in Korea or Australia or someplace where there's better internet infrastructure, and not the US), but the vast majority of the population is now making pretty heavy use of data centers and centralized computing. But it's much more iPhone than Mac Pro....

No doubt that "cloud stuff" requires these data-centers, but that's very different from centralized computing in my mind. Not to quibble over semantics or definitions, but I see the former as a hard drive and the latter as a CPU. The shared computers of yore were CPUs.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
No doubt that "cloud stuff" requires these data-centers, but that's very different from centralized computing in my mind. Not to quibble over semantics or definitions, but I see the former as a hard drive and the latter as a CPU. The shared computers of yore were CPUs.

Yeah true, but they are CPUs too in a lot of the applications -- Nuance's iPhone app as far as I know does voice translations on server-side CPUs, and LaDiDa and Shazam and the like work on server-side, I believe. In the Nuance case, for instance, it's a smaller step to go from this to being able to lower the client-side computer requirements for Dragon Naturally Speaking by using server-side CPU power too.

Again, though, this is predominantly the low end of the market -- enabling phones and netbooks and MBA's to do more on less hardware -- not the high end of the market.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
The problem I see with all this cloud and "iCloud" stuff is bandwidth limitations currently. Although my ISP offers 10Mbit and better download speeds (I routinely download at 1.7 Megabytes/sec and higher), my upload speeds are capped at around 150k/sec. So uploading a gigabyte video file to the cloud would take a considerable amount of time. Music files would take time too. It just doesn't make much sense now. Until we have Gigabit connections, it doesn't make sense to me.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
what about security? Do companies really want all their rendering and trade secrets being sent through the cloud to apple and then back again? Also, ISPs are just now starting to cap bandwidth. Do you want to use up your entire cap in an afternoon rendering 3d?

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010

I'm not claiming any originality. But I think there is inevitability to this model.

I've been arguing for five years with a Telecom friend that Apple or Google or both are going to build their own ultra-high-speed networks. He always scoffed, until Google started launching in some markets.

If Apple had their own network they wouldn't strangle users with a pay-per-byte model...they'd make money through apps and services.

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
what about security? Do companies really want all their rendering and trade secrets being sent through the cloud to apple and then back again? Also, ISPs are just now starting to cap bandwidth. Do you want to use up your entire cap in an afternoon rendering 3d?

Encryption.

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
As powerful standalone machines, quite a few people still need Mac Pros. On the other hand, powerful machines can still coexist with the "cloud". In the case that the cloud is blown away due to many unpredictable causes, one can still get things done with a powerful standalone machine. Still, many top-secret things are rather done with standalone machines so that supercomputers will be around for quite some time.

Your arguments against cloud-centrality (which I happen to agree with) hasn't stopped Jobs from forcing us to use the Web everytime we want to to install apps or the new OS.

I argue that this Cloud model is going to get pushed on us from lots of angles.

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010

Only 0.6% of the population use apps that justify a MacPro. All too true.

But what about full, deep Virtual Reality, artificial intelligence, etc? One could argue that software development has hit a plateau. But there are lots of every day applications that could utilize massive CPU power.

-The ability to travel freely around Yosemite virtually...with absolute realism...from 5,000 miles away...

-A virtual personal coach or therapist

- An iRobot

etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.