Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
I'm in the middle (literally - I just hit Chapt.22) of the Isaacson biography, and I'm finding a lot to admire about Steve Jobs, and a lot to detest.

He was a complicated person; no doubt about it. And no biography can capture all the nuances of life experiences that made him who he was. Nevertheless, in reading about his life, he seemed, to a large extent, driven by narcissism. Now, having a huge ego and believing in the grandiosity of your genius is generally not a good way to live. Unless you can back it up. Steve had a flair for the big idea, and the drive to accomplish it, so he had the skills to back up his genius - but in the process, he often acted like an unmitigated ******* and spoiled brat.

There's a lot I can learn from such a man:

1. Strive for perfection, but don't be an *******.
2. Work with the best people you can find, and trust them.
3. Design is function.
4. Artistic sensibility has a place in business/technology.
5. Shower regularly.

I didn't know the man personally, so I had no emotional attachment to him. But I respected him, and I'm grateful to have lived in the same era as Steve Jobs. He helped re-invent my industry (graphic design) and provided the tools that allowed me to work independently, in my home, as a freelancer. So in that respect, Steve Jobs meant a lot to me personally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.