Steve screws up in the Keynote

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by haiggy, Jan 15, 2008.

1. haiggy macrumors 65816

Early on when talking about Leopard and it's new features where he starts out with time machine and then shows a commercial, instead he says Tiger... :D

2. shecky Guest

shecky

he messed up a couple of times actually. he referred to "500MB" and then corrected it to 500GB when talking about Time Capsule. he also said something was 1.3% of phone sales when it was 3.1%.

most notable tho, he just seemed... kind of..... subdued? just not 100% Steve.

3. Schnebar macrumors 6502

yeah I noticed that too. And also the flikr thing. I wonder if he had some more planned to show but just skipped it.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

5. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

OMG i am so glad i wasnt the only one that saw that:D

6. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah, thanks didnt see that. Yeah he seemed to make a lot of mistakes today :(

7. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

not only he made quite a few boo boos, he also seemed like he lost a few lbs.

but i think i'd, too, be nervous to announce a $20 itouch update and a goofy looking $1800+ laptop, while trying to save appleTV at the same time... haha.

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

so he does make a few mistakes every so often, doesn't mean he messed up the whole thing.

he is human

9. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I'm speculating, but he's probably annoyed that the whole MacBook Air thing and 1.1.3 update got leaked so badly so close to the show. There's a good chance he's put Moshe on the job to find the people responsible.

Seriously, though, the staff and business partners have pretty much publicly humiliated Apple's attempts to keep new products secret. I'd be pretty pissed if it were my company. And it 90% ruins the usual big surprise too. Part of me really hates the whole rumor mill, I'm just glad we didn't quite realise how damn good the iPhone would be last year.

10. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

all of you make great points.

i know he is human, nobody's perfect. just thought it was funny.
    with the whole rumors being leaked, i agree that would suck too to be jobs.
    and yes, trying to make the $20 touch upgrade and the $1800 notebook sound good is too hard to do in one keynote. wtf is with that $20 upgrade? sigh... such a money scam.

annnnnyways, does anybody know the graphics card inside of the Air?

11. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I agree on the subdued part. He just didn't seem the same as he has been in previous keynotes.

12. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

Yeah, it is the Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory. I pulled this right from the apple store. This is the same as the macbooks.

13. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I saw a recent picture of Steve accepting an award in Macworld Magazine and he looked quite gaunt. He has had a health scare in the past, can't exactly pin-point what it was, but it held him back from introducing the then new iMac G5 at the Paris Expo. Hope everything is going ok for him, but I agree that trying to sell the ill-fated Apple TV, a new $1800 laptop, and a $20 update for iPod Touch is not going to help matters.

I always find myself asking this question: What will Apple be like after Steve Jobs is gone? It wouldn't seem near as interesting without him.

14. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I believe it was cancer, but I'm not positive.

But on another note, (t)he(y) did a great job of reviving the AppleTV, now they kind of make me want to buy it, the only thing holding me back is the price of the rentals figuring I have Netflix.

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You're right. It was a very rare but very curable form of pancreatic cancer.

It was cured and he has been cancer free for several years. There is no reason to worry about Steve Jobs' health; he is fine.

16. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Agreed, I was never interested in the original version of the product. Now with iTunes Movie Rentals, the software update and price drop of :apple:TV it makes the product much more interesting. Too bad I don't have a widescreen TV :(

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Before apple tv seemed like a waste of time to me. But now at the lower price point and the HD downloads make it much more appealing.

18. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

So true, I think Apple may have actually got it right this time.

It was also nice to see him admitted to mistakes, and things that hadn't done as well as they wanted. 7 Million Movies is poor, even if it is US only.