Steve should have released 1 app today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aerospace, Mar 6, 2008.

1. aerospace macrumors 6502a

It doesn't mater what it could do as long as it was useful and cool looking.

What better way to show off the sdk power than to give us a new app? Wet out appetites so to speak.

Imagine if during the keynote, he said everyone turn on your iphone(probably 90% of the people there had one, and those not what better way to make them feel bad lol) and call send a text to this #. A minute later everyone's phone is sent a new app and they follow along as he demo's its power.

2. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I suppose, presumably, that you have plenty of examples of what the SDK can do already on your iPhone.

3. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

The iphone is cool because of its potential.

Aside from the internet its just another phone to me. The point of the SDK to allow a wider range of apps that will have more functionality than current ones. Show it off, give us one of the games, something...not see you in 4 months

4. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah, would have been nice to get to get an App...

5. srent5 macrumors member

srent5

6. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you saw the keynote he did say he was able to create aim for iphone in 5 days. So why make us wait 4months to get it? Of course they'll add new features but they can update it later. Most would be ecstatic with the features that they showed off.

7. GT500 macrumors newbie

Touch Fighter

the touch fighter game that was shown looks amazing and just goes to show how amazing new apps are going to be. It would have ben great if we were given a sort-of demo of it with a never-ending level! :D

8. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think touch fighter was a demo, it didnt seem to even keep score or have a health meter

9. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

10. GT500 macrumors newbie

thats what i was meaning, a never-ending game like the guy above says :D

COM'ON APPLE GIV US A GAME! :D

11. cupofjoe macrumors regular

Not gonna happen.

They just wanted to show off and say "nah-nah, we have it and you don't!(now go make some cool apps with our SDK, damnit!)"

Seriously.:p

12. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

It's very smart. People who might have bought a competitor's phone may very well buy an iPhone now knowing things are in the pipeline.

A new app would have been a nice little present, but aside from people just wanting something, giving away an App doesn't do a whole lot for Apple.

The people who could use it already have an iPhone.

The people who don't probably aren't going to rush out and buy one for some piddly little demo app freeware.

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Releasing an app, at least through the channels they're trying to promote, would have involved the release of the 2.0 firmware.

And besides, as much confidence as they have in the SDK, I'm not sure they WANT to release software to the public that's only been worked on for two weeks.

14. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

That would have been VERY nice.... that or copy and paste :D

15. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Sounds like an Oprah show. Cheesy.

16. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Jobs knows that it doesn't matter if he released an app today, or in 4 months time, we'll all be there when the time comes, regardless. :D

Over time, the SDK will prove to be a great thing. There are gonna be some awesome apps, and I can't wait for it all to get started. Having the App Store on the device, is a great move too.

17. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

If they want to add new features, they'd have to charge iPod Touch owners AGAIN. And we know how happy they are already. :D

18. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

I doubt they would charge for an update, maybe a major upgrade or new version

19. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I am pretty sure that when June comes you will see a new free App... it starts with an "i" and ends with "chat".

20. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

AIM would have been nice to have yesterday... looked like it was more than good enough for me.

21. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

There are already lots of AIM apps. All you have to do is jailbreak, which isn't hard at all.

22. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Or, meebo and beejive are just as good.

23. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I actually find them to be a tad slow and buggy.

24. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

beejive is somewhat slow

meebo is great, though

you just have to understand that you cannot navigate away from the page or your connection will be lost