Steve Wozniak in UK

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by tomfromben, Sep 5, 2014.

1. tomfromben macrumors newbie

I want to hear from someone senior from Apple, does anyone think Steve Wozniak would be good to listen to? He's at this convention near me in a couple of weeks:

http://entrepreneursconvention.co.uk/

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Woz hasn't worked for Apple since about 1981-1982, so he's not a senior person at Apple. But, he'd still be a good person to go see and hear.

3. tomfromben thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to know, thanks. He co-founded Apple though didn't he?

I think I'll go :) anyone else going?

4. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

He does get a small pay check from apple each year but no one really knows how much. It could be a large amount, but who knows :)

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

He's not directly connected to apple, but he still has I believe apple id badge number 1.

He did help co-found apple and was the brains behind the Apple I/II/II etc. He left in 1987 and receives a small stipend of 120,000 (that's small :eek:)

6. Zxxv macrumors 68040

I'd go. It'd be nice to listen to Woz. Apparently he is a real nice and genuine man.

by the way nice crafty way of advertising ;)

(your join date )

7. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Very entrepreneurial. :D

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Steve Wozniak is a very interesting person. I would definitely go. He's a quiet introverted person until he starts talking about technology. I met him at a computer show one year. This heavy set guy with a beard was asking my friend a lot of questions about an invention that he was playing around with. What started as a couple questions, quickly turned into geek speak, full blown. They were talking transistors, diodes, capacitors… They were writing things on paper, doing math, etc.

After they talked forever, he gave my friend a business card when he was leaving. This business card was unusual because it was made of metal and very unique. It said iWoz and had his name, personal phone number and email address on it.

Another funny thing was that he was carrying three cell phones, which seemed to each ring or chime at different times. He would briefly look at the screen very irritated then get right back to the thought he was at.

I would certainly go. Not for his insight into Apple but just to hear him speak. I think that he is one of those people who have genius in certain areas… math and technology.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Very interesting - and well written - post, which I thoroughly enjoyed reading.

Personally, I'd most certainly make a point of attending a talk by Steve Wozniak; irrespective of his current situation, he played a key role in Apple's early days, and anything he says on the subject of technology would be of great interest, and, I'd imagine, quite thought provoking.

10. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You can get metal business cards(or plastic cards) at PlasmaDesign.co.uk.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This very company - PlasmaDesign - had been referred to (on these fora) ages ago, along with MOO cards in a thread which discussed business cards; I had clean forgotten all about them, and so, I must thank you for drawing my attention to the matter.

Metal cards; how very interesting.

12. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

Too bad nothing will ever beat the kevin mitnick card.

-------

And yeah - I agree with the others - how often would you ever get to see one of the early pioneers of the tech revolution in person?

13. HereBeMonsters macrumors 6502

HereBeMonsters

14. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Is that a lock pick kit in a card?

15. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

Yep! Pretty cool, imo