steve's screen of death: leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kwfl, Jan 27, 2008.

1. kwfl macrumors 6502

just a few moments ago i was using my MBP running leoprad 10.5.1 and went to mail and clicked on the 'get mail' icon and the screen went transparent grey black ........ it was well animated though ;)....... it was like horizontal curtains which started from the top of the screen to the bottom.

a message appeared in four different languadges saying u need to swtich off your computer and u can do this by holding down the power button.:D or so ....
    i cant remember that quick as it did as instructed very quickly.

is this normal with your guys as i got this for the first time and it reminds with the blue screen of death i normally see on xp, the latest was yesterday :D

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

This is a Kernal Panic. It could indicate faulty hardware, have you installed some recently? I recommend repairing disk permissions and resetting the PRAM :)

3. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

just a kernel panic, hopefully your first and last. Usually caused by hardware rather than software, just see if it keeps happening, don't get too bothered by it yet. Some of my older systems are starting to get several a week.

4. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

It's an occasional thing. If it starts to happen all the time, you know you have a hardware issue, usually RAM but it can be occasionally caused by temporary software problems (probably what happened to you).

5. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Guess I'm very lucky to have never had a kernel panic on either of my Macs since I switched to Mac in 2006.

6. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

I haven't gotten a Kernel Panic either since I made the switch, which is great.

To the original poster: If you start getting a lot of kernel panics I would recommend checking for updates for your software applications and also run the Apple Hardware Diagnostic tool which is found on your computers software reinstallation disc. Just insert the disc and hold down "D" while booting up.

7. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

for those who suggested rpairing permissions, disk utility cant do it in leopard till the moment, i do it by onyx but i dont know wether it is safe.

hardware failures or errors. my MBP is only 3 months old and the only thing i changed is the RAM (owc 4GB)

i will try go through your suggested solutions as precautions.

thanks.

8. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

I've had my MBP a little over a year and had my only panic a couple of days ago.

9. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Even RAM from reputable companies can cause kernel panics. I am not knocking OWC at all, but my TiPB experienced kernel panics with OWC RAM. Two exchange sets of RAM yielded the same results for me, so I bought from another source and have had no problems since.

You may want to check the RAM via a program such as Memtest, or a free program such as Rember.

10. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

I had a memory problem and memtest didn't catch it. I had to run Apple's hardware test from the DVD. No more crashes after I swapped the RAM.

People seem to forget that Diskutility checks disk permissions, you don't need OnyX.

11. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

And my RAM issues were not caught by the AHT. When in doubt, run more tests!;)