Stick or automatic?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 204467, Oct 19, 2008.

?

Stick or automatic?

1. Stick

86 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Automatic

39 vote(s)
    31.2%
  1. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Which do you drive? Which do you prefer? I'm learning stick and I'm starting to like it more than automatic.

P.S. 10 awesome points for the first person to tell me where this quote is from:

"I've got a hole in me pocket!"

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You know what's even better than stick or auto? Polls. Which let you track the popularity of the answers...

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Automatic for me, thank you.

I drove a stick... once. :D Never trying that again.

4. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I can drive a stick, but prefer auto. Traffic is ruff on a clutch and constant shifting down. :rolleyes:

"Paul: I've got a hole in me pocket." from the movie "Yellow Submarine" Paul McCartney

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

My CL is stick.

It's fun to drive, but with all the traffic around here, I must admit that my next ride will likely be automatic. Unless I suddenly fall into some money and buy a sports car. :)

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While I can drive a manual transmission (actually learned how to drive on a stick shift), I prefer an automatic transmission.

7. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Auto. Sticks suck in bumper to bumper traffic.

8. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The stick shift is generally cheaper to buy, since it usually doesn't cost $500-1500 more.

Cheaper to maintain, since the fluid is generally 100k, and unlike some automatics doesn't need to be changed every 30k miles.

And about the same cost when they need repair -- if you get one with the expensive dual mass flywheel.

---

Generally if you get in the habit of popping the vehicle into Neutral at stops, the stick is generally only a pain when the stop and go traffic is moving slow -- but not fast enough to let you rest of hobble along in 1st.

10. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

in general, i prefer a stick if it's a sports car.

auto's are nice if you drive in a lot of traffic.

11. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

Manual is fun for non-urban driving (it really sucks when you're in gridlock,) but automatic is easier for just hopping in the car and going across the street.

12. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I hate automatics. I always feel like I'm not very in control.

Manual any day.

13. 204467 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right movie, wrong character. Ringo said it, you only get five awesome points. You should feel happy though; that's the first time I've ever given anyone that many! Yeah, I know, not very good logic. But hey, whatever...

Dude, I can't create a poll that fast. You need to learn how to wait and not be a jerk about it.

14. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Automatic, it's just one less thing you have to worry about while driving.

15. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

I life in a rural area so there isn't a lot of stop and go traffic. I drive a 2000 Toyota Celica, with a 6-speed manual.

I think I would prefer a stick in any car of mine right now, at least with the current traffic conditions anyway. I can see how places like New York, San Francisco, etc. might drive (no pun intended) someone to an automatic though.

16. tremulant14 macrumors newbie

I'd say stick even though I drive an automatic. When I worked valet parking for a couple months, I didn't want to drive anything but stick, even though people don't usually bring their manual cars to valet them.

But Stick is generally faster, with exception to paddle shifters, save more gas and are more fun... but really suck in traffic and when you are stopped on hills.

Automatic can be fun too though.. look ma no hands!

17. lwood1 macrumors 6502

Stick FTW!

I live in LA and I still love it! Nothing like blowing through the canyons shifting through the gears!

Autos are boring :)

18. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I currently drive an automatic, but would like to drive a shift, but as a high school student, I'll take whatever I can get for a car.

19. Frisco macrumors 68020

I love sticks, but in the city traffic they suck. You are in Philly get an automatic.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

stick......loads more fun and gives you a huge advantage if you ever want a motorcycle

21. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

It's still confusing to me that this is even a question. In the UK it's assumed that a car is manual transmission. If you want automatic you have to go searching for it. Everyone learns in a manual, if you learn in an automatic, you are restricted to automatic cars only.
    I hate auto's. They don't know to change down when I want to really turn on the speed, they lag a second or two when you put your foot down, and I never know what to do with my left foot!

22. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

Stick.

I find it humorous when people complain about using a stick in heavy traffic. If you learn to not actually stop then you won't be using the clutch so much.

Also, the clutch in most cars these is is so light it's almost funny. The heavy-duty clutch in my Mustang feels like I'm stepping on a plum after I get out of my work truck. If your leg is tired after holding in the clutch through one red light then you'd probably be crying if you had to do the same in my KW :D

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

majority of cars in us are autos. if you learn with an auto, you are not restricted to autos either

haha ive made the mistake driving an auto and using my left foot to slam the brakes thinking it was the clutch...

24. Frisco macrumors 68020

Yeah but us Americans are lazy.

25. Frisco macrumors 68020

You don't realize what traffic is like in this area. You have to stop! Many times.