Stick to ATT Next or try Apple Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by surfer369, Oct 15, 2016.

1. surfer369 macrumors member

Can't decide if I should stick with ATT Next program or switch to Apple Upgrade. The only thing that Apple upgrade does is a hard credit check, which I want to avoid if possible.

I also have a credit card that extends and gives an additional years warranty so do I need to get the apple care which Apple upgrade program offers?

Any suggestions?

2. pdxa4 macrumors 6502

I was happy to keep a separation from AT&T when it came to the phone contract so I went with the apple iUP program. Ordered on Sep 23rd.

I still plan to use AT&T with my original "unlimited" plan.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Depending on the card issuer, it may or may not work with an installment plan when it comes to extended warranty. Amex doesn't cover items still under installment billing, but other cards such as Citi Costco Anywhere Visa do.

AC+ is mandatory with the IUP.

4. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

Yes, it is included in the price and there is no way to do the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program without Apple Care+.

5. Borybaby macrumors member

Careful with the credit card extended warranties. Visa and MasterCard don't cover purchases through a 3rd party which citizens would be considered. So no extended warranty. Technically it would appear as "citizensiphoneloan" when they charge or something similar so it wouldn't be a purchase directly from a retailer. But with he iup is would come with AppleCare. I personally have att next just because I didn't like the idea of them running my credit each time I wanted to get a new device. No credit check with att if your already established.

6. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

I would be very surprised if they do a hard pull each time you upgrade. I would have to see it to believe it. Just because someone posts something on the internet doesn't mean it is true. I have seen a lot of things posted here that I know aren't true.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Good point.

It's not a given that they do a hard pull each time you renew. Several existing IUP members have reporting getting no hard pull this year. It's at the discretion of the bank and most likely depends on your credit score.

8. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

So these people who say they know a hard pull was done, they actually got a copy of their credit report before and after and saw that a hard pull was done? Because that is the only way you know for sure.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's what I'm assuming because, as you pointed out, that is the only way you know.

10. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

I would need to see it to believe it.

11. daddyd302 macrumors member

daddyd302

I'm no expert but I'm assuming your CC will only cover the basic warranty. If you damage your phone, you might be SoL without Applecare+.

12. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

Depends on the credit card. If you pay your cell phone bill each month with a Wells Fargo credit card, you have accidental damage and theft coverage up to $600 per incident with only a $25 deductible for the first 4 phones that appear on your bill.

13. Borybaby macrumors member

I haven't gone of what was posted. I called last year to clarify the upgrade cuz I thought it be a better deal through Apple. You could leave to any carrier and not be tied to them. When I asked last year before doing att next, Apple rep told me, the first time is based on credit approval, however if you want to upgrade the following year, they MAY access report to do a new upgrade. So since I new i was going to buy a house, i went with att next and no credit check at all. I also called citizens directly and they had no firm answer. Said it would be dependent on multiple details and each person would be different. I work for a credit card company and we always tell people, if needed we will request credit. Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't. So I'd rather go with sure thing. I would tho suggest reaching out to them directly to confirm.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2016 ---
    IMG_1211.PNG FYI- says right in terms it's a new installment when you upgrade.

1. Exercising your Upgrade Option. To exercise your Upgrade Option you must:
      • Trade in your Financed iPhone in good physical and operational condition, as directed by Apple; and
      • Enroll in a new iPhone Upgrade Program which includes applying for and entering into a new 24-month 0% APR installment loan (“New Installment Loan”) with Bank.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2016 ---
    Depends on CC. Amex and MasterCard world elite will cover accidental damage and theft. My daughter actually left her brand new iPhone at the mall minutes after she upgraded and Amex reimbursed my acct for the cost of phone.

14. surfer369 thread starter macrumors member

I would either use my chase credit card or amex blue cash. When I did have my apple watch dmaged, my chase credit card reimbursed the cost of repair but it was under $500. I think Amex covers upto $1000 I think.

Looks like there is no reason to go with Apple upgrade program, you still have to pay for apple care, it not free.
    Is there a reason to pay full price, since ATT or Apple don't charge interest I think monthly payment is the way to go, specially if I am trying to get one for me and one for my wife.

15. Borybaby macrumors member

Just again would mention to check with Amex assurance cause I don't believe items on installment plans are covered. Check this out https://community.americanexpress.com/thread/6367

16. surfer369 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link, in that case I will just buy the apple care with the ATT next. Now the question, are people getting their jet black sooner than the delivery time?

and does att chargeyou extra if you wanted to pay off for the phone couple months later?

17. Borybaby macrumors member

No charge for paying off sooner. Im a jet black preorder. Still no movement. Not really sure, but hearing people picking it up quicker in Apple Store or target

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Correct. Amex excludes items still under installment billing. Other cards, such as Citi Costco Anywhere Visa, don't have such an exclusion.

Wouldn't this also be true of Next? At&t would be considered a 3rd party, as opposed to Apple which is the manufacturer?

I'm not really seeing this exclusion with my Citi Visa card so I take it only certain Visa and MC cards impose it?

19. Borybaby macrumors member

My citi simplicity card doesn't cover it. Hats why I'm saying for each person to call and verify. He's another example, my wife's Blue cash everyday has a bunch of restrictions yet my platinum card doesn't. So even card types have different rules. Why I say reach directly to card issuer to ensure. Don't get screwed later.

Yes att next is excluded also for my cards.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Got it.

Extended warranty coverage is essentially the same between Amex Blue Cash and Amex Platinum card. A major difference lies with Purchase Protection coverage in which Blue Cash covers only accidental damage and theft, but the Platinum card will cover accidental damage, theft and lost/misplaced.

21. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Something to know about Apples iPhone Upgrade Program is that they check your credit every year and open a new account. Which might hurt your credit.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not necessarily. Not all existing IUP members received a hard pull when upgrading.

23. Borybaby macrumors member

Idk....apples terms and conditions page says it's a new installment agreement you have to qualify for. But I've applied for a credit card before and had no pull

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

What's written and what actually happens in practice are two different things. Several members have reported not getting a hard pull when upgrading so whether or not they'll do it seems to be at Citizens' discretion.

25. deeddawg macrumors 604

Even if it does occur every year, which some seem to think isn't true, it's not going to make a substantive difference for people with a decent credit rating. If you have a crappy credit rating, then you need to review your individual situation and the reasons for your crappy credit score before deciding whether or not to take out additional credit.

Just don't go buy a phone while you're in escrow buying a home. Mortgage lenders do get twitchy.