Stick updating to yosemite

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hoppz1414, May 25, 2015.

1. Hoppz1414 macrumors newbie

Was running mountain lion 10.8.5 on my 2012 MacBook. Downloaded Yosemite, restarted, loading started and then it would give me a error message saying the disc needs to verify or repair or something like that. Go to disk utility, verify a problem and click repair. Says it has to stop repairing and I need to backup as many files as I can. I tried opening up osx utilities and reinstalling osx. But it won't let me because mountain lion I no longer available in App Store. And now whenever I turn on the computer it goes straight to osx utilities every time and gives me no option to try to install Yosemite. What do I do?

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Sounds like a possible hard drive failure. My recommendation would be to back up all of your data ASAP and then replace the drive with a new drive, preferably a SSD. If you no longer have the original installation media that came with your Mac you can contact Apple and they will send you with new media to perform the an OS installation with. It is very likely that they will provide you with a more recent version of Mac OS X.

Also there is no such thing as a 2012 MacBook. The last MacBook that was released prior to the current retina model is the MacBook 7,1 which is also known as the MacBook Mid 2010 model.

3. Hoppz1414 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response, but how would I go about backing up? Time machine won't work for me. And I meant MacBook Pro my bad

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

At this point your options are:
    • Pull the hard drive and hook it up to another computer to recover the files.
    • Use TargetDisk Mode to recover the files.
    • Boot using a linux boot disc to recover the files.
    • Take it to a reputable company that know what they are doing to recover the files.

5. Hoppz1414 thread starter macrumors newbie

Basically now we have a different problem. I'm not sure if you can help this is what is happened. I just decided to clear the Macintosh hard drive and then use command, shift, r for downloading the older version of lion. I installed lion and everything seemed to be goin great. After it was done it loads right up to osx utilities and idk what to do from there. I click choose startup disk and nothing is there even though I just downloaded lion. I'm confused