Stick with 802.11n or upgrade to ac??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AT0MAC, Aug 2, 2013.

1. AT0MAC macrumors regular

AT0MAC

My network is today made up of a home router from my ISP that has very crappy wifi coverage, so disabled it and am using a Asus EA-N66U access point to broadcast for me.

My current mac dont have wifi build in and I now want to move it to a new placement where cabling would be really difficult - I am therefor considering if I should just get a matching Asus USB-N66 adapter and keep using 802.11n network - or should I go all in and buy two Apple Airport Extreme AC adapters instead??

Is AC network really SO much better than n that they are worth 4x the price per piece?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Potentially faster than GbE so yeah they are SO much better.

Is it worth it? Depends on the situation. You won't see any difference with your Web traffic, but if say you have a NAS that will be accessed via wireless then it could make a difference.

3. brentsg macrumors 68030

I'm currently considering an 802.11ac bridge for streaming HD media. My current n setup is sooooo close to being reliable for streaming straight blu-ray rips. It's actually ok for most titles, but not all.

I'd think if you have some use case like this, where you think the extra performance would benefit you then it makes sense.