Stick with Apple or go with a Windows laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by runebinder, Nov 17, 2009.

1. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

So posted previously on the issues I've had with my MBP: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=817733.

Apple won't replace as it's a refurb and they'll only exchange if they have the same model, which they don't. They have advised however they'll collect and refund what I paid (£1150).

So question is do I pay the extra and get the 2.66GHZ model, go with a 13" model or go for a Windows lappy?

Anyone gone from a 2.4GHZ 15" Unibody to a 13"? If so how did you find the change?

2. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Don't go to Windows, that would make bad luck worse.

4. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

I thought Apple typically replaces items equal or greater to what the computer in question is? How long ago did you purchase it?

5. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Comes down more to what OS you want to run in my opinion. The hardware and service seems equal in quality standards in the big picture (though Macs generally 'LOOK' nicer). You are always going to find fanboys on either end of the game....and always find people who swear one brand is better and they NEVER had problems or ALWAYS had problems. It all boils down to your personal experience and unless someone has been screwed by service or gotten lemons over and over they will never admit their favorite brand isn't the "best"...no matter what brand that is.

About 15" to 13" I couldn't do it comfortably...I tried. In the end I knew I didn't 'want' the smaller screen but would have just been settling for a cheaper price. Shame Apple won't make a 15" Macbook...but they know people who want it will be forced to go up to the MBP if it matters to them.

6. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

Are you a recent switcher and, if so, how switched over are you? I mean, I couldn't really tell from your original post other than saying you had liked OSX on your friends' computer, but if your main goal was getting Mac hardware for its superior build quality (I'd disagree with that, but this is MacRumors and I don't have a death wish either :p) but were still planning on running Windows or another non-OSX system, might as well just go back to a Windows machine.

I mean, I like OSX - it's why I and most people here buy Macs - but if the purchase of a refurb was to give Apple a shot, and they've already let you down on build quality... I guess if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't give Apple more money just to use an OS you're not familiar with because people say it's better. I know enough people who use OSX and really don't like it to know it's not for everyone.

7. runebinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

runebinder

End of April this year. Apparently those rules don't apply to refurbs which is a shame as I was hoping for a 2.66GHZ replacement

8. runebinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Yeah agree with the fanboy attitude of some (in both camps), can be a bit ridiculous. Cheers for your input on going from 15" to 13"

9. runebinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Switched in April so been using OS X for around 6 months. I'm an IT support technician/trainer so hasn't taken me long to get to grips with it. Think this is pretty much going to be the crux point.

Do run Bootcamp and Win 7, however find myself rarely using that and really like Snow Leopard. Doubt I could be arsed trying to do a hackintosh, so think it looks like an Win lappy is not an option. Also MacBook Pro's have the only trackpads I can abide using so those 2 factors are pretty much the deciding factor.

harperjones99's point about 15" vs 13" seem valid so looks like I'll stick with the 15" range. And originally bought this for the dual GPUs so looks like adding a bit of extra money and getting the 2.66GHz is the way forward. Timing of being just before chrimble suck though lol.

Cheers for helping me make my mind up guys.

10. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

11. Puqq macrumors regular

You mean a low spec netbook? :)

OEM Windows are extremely cheap and therefore most manufacturers don't even give a choice of Linux...

What do you want to do with your laptop?

Windows laptops generally have better performance in one field for a lower price compared to MBPs, but are worse in others. This makes MBPs somewhat more universal.

The Mac OS is nice and handy, but Windows 7 is an extreme improvement on Vista as well. W7 basically gives stability and reliability of XP, looks of Vista and some really handy bits as well...

For me personally, outstanding screen, build quality, extreme battery life, portability and design bought me, and keeps waiting for the MBP 13 upgrade. There is no Windows 7 laptop that would have a least similar specifications in these fields for the price- I have checked 100s of times:)

12. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

PUGG
    Same thing that brought me over you mentioned.
    I priced laptops that would offer the same specs and thinness of the mbp 13" and couldn't find any for the same price or cheaper. So when people say apple is over priced I kind of roll my eyes at them.
    So I went with a MBP 13" and just tri boot win 7,OSX and ubuntu.

13. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

They ARE overpriced in the 15 and 17" range. I have the lowest model 15" and it has the same or less specs as machines half it's price on the PC side. I wanted to try OSX and couldn't deal with a smaller screen so I had no option...not everyone can stand 13" screens. If there was a 1000 dollar 15" Macbook with the same numbers but say plastic case then you could say prices were more even.

There were rows of PC laptops in the shop with 2.5-3Ghz processors...4GB RAM....320 to 500GB HDD...Windows 7 for 1000 dollars or less..some with pretty decent looking cases. The cheapest 15" MBP with 2.53/4GB/250GB HDD is 1700 dollars.

14. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

i love my 2.66, if you you have the extra money, I say go for it,

15. hypermog macrumors regular

What?

Wait a minute. Apple treats refurbs with applecare differently than retail macs with applecare? I thought refurbs receive the same warranty with or without applecare protection.

Can anyone confirm that there's a difference here? I was planning on buying a refurb for my first mac (with applecare) but if this is true i'll reconsider.

16. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

You can make a decision your self by going into Best Buy and just checking out the quality of the pc laptops they have on display.... Just pick one up move it around and check out the build quality and you will see what I am talking about.

17. Meever macrumors 6502a

If you are going to switch back to windows remember. Stick to Asus. Levno and Sony would be distant second. But generally you want to stick with Asus for build quality/fair price/durability. Stay far away from HP. Seriously, pretend any HP computer has airborne contagious AIDS cancer. HP has awful, awful build quality and service. I got a broken laptop out of the box and couldn't get it replaced by the Best Buy OR HP unless I paid an insane amount of service fee. Ended up fixing it myself (it was a bad SATA wire) but now I'm out of warranty (ironic since I got the computer because of it's extra long two year warranty). Acer is also very, very, very bad. Stay away from those two XD

The MBP 15/17 are stupidly over priced for their specs. It's like 3 generation old technology. For that kind of cash you can get a 1 gig ddr3 dedicated graphics card and i7 processors from companies like Asus. Unless you can get another last gen MBP 15 I'd either get the 13 (which does lose a lot of graphics muscles) or maybe look into the new iMacs.

18. runebinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Despite the warnings about HP, got to admit I'm torn between a 2.8GHz MBP and the 15" HP envy atm. The i7 core and ATI graphics are tempting

19. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

He's in England, don't think they have BB there, though I suppose they have some sort of comparable big box retail outfit.

Cheers,

20. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Unless your planning on running Windows I would not suggest it. Even though there is a work around to enable Atom support in OS X. We know what Apple will again work to disable it. This is their track record. The next fix might not be as workable as this one. Unless you are just playing with the computer I could see this possibly cause some issues down the line.

21. Puqq macrumors regular

I think, Apple might be reducing the price of 15" MBP. The HP envy 15 is ~1200 pounds and is much faster than current 17" MBP. So, just wait for the update and decide then. It should not be far away now.

The Envy laptops seem to be really nice (because they are based on MBPs?). Well, but there are some other more decent players. As mentioned above, HP is not a brand to trust.

I would probably try the Dell XPS 16. Those are beasts- perfect screen (RGBLed) and v. good performance for a reasonable price. Asus makes nice entertainment laptops (price,build, performance) and Lenovo is more business-like (build, battery and usability), but screens are rather low contrast/low colour space for both. Toshiba and Fujitsu-Siemens (Lifebook and similar series) are other brands to consider.