Stick with old-gen MacBook Pro, or upgrade to "last gen"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacBackpacker, Feb 1, 2010.

  1. MacBackpacker macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    #1
    I'm in a situation here, and I need a bit of advice.

    I currently have a 2.16GHz Macbook Pro C2D (15"). It's not a unibody, and I've had it for roughly 2 years. It's a good machine, but I'm getting itchy for an upgrade.

    I got offered a last-gen MacBook Pro 15", the one with a removable battery, for $1300. It is a friends computer, in wonderful shape, has built-in video cards, fully loaded, etc. The only problem...no warranty.

    Now, should I try and sell my MBP and upgrade to this? Or maybe sell mine, and get a new, 13" MacBook Pro?

    I am in school, and I do pretty basic stuff. I use the iApps, a few Omni programs, and VMWare occasionally.

    Advice is appreciated.
     
  2. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2008
    Location:
    Youngstown, OH
    #2
    Honestly, for the basics your current machine would suit your needs just fine. However, if you're really looking to upgrade, I'd say go for the 13" MBP. It's more portable than the 15" you have now and with the current gen you're likely to notice a speed boost as well. I have the 13" MBP and I love it! I take it everywhere and have it connected to a 24" Apple cinema display for use at home if I want a "desktop" experience (so screen size really isn't that important to me and I'd rather have the portability). I say put your 15" on both ebay and craigslist and see if you can get $800-$900 then shop the refurb store and pick up a refurbished 13" uMBP for $999.
     
  3. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

    GeekGirl*

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2009
    Location:
    Buffalo, NY
    #3
    the newest is amazing but if your current one is working for you, stay with it.
     
  4. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #4
    I would wait for the update and see what comes out. After the update there will be lots of refurbs available for great price and they also have the same warranty as new ones. Moreover, you can ask your friend to drop the price as you could get a brand new MBP for same price he is offering with full warranty. You also have fully working computer so I wouldn't hurry too much because you might regret it afterwards
     
  5. djkny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    #5
    I'd snag the 13" MBP NOW. It's $999 and highly unlikely it'll be any cheaper even with an across the board refresh.
     
  6. Habitus macrumors 6502a

    Habitus

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2009
    Location:
    Where ever my life takes me...
    #6
    If your needs don't warrant the computer, why buy? Sounds like your good with what you have.

    Habitus :apple:
     
  7. techound1 macrumors 68000

    techound1

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2006
    #7
    Bite your tongue! That's very un-American of you, bringing practicality in before an itch for new stuff :p.

    OP, do you really need the warranty? It's a nice price and you know the seller, so you know it's not abused (half the battle with used computers). There's nothing wrong with stepping up in technology and this sounds like a good opportunity you may regret having passed up later.
     
  8. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2009
    Location:
    Midwest
    #8
    I would wait till you have the funds to buy a laptop without risking yourself not having one for school.
    but i would go with the new laptop.
     
  9. DanBUK macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2007
    #9
    I think $1300 is too much for what you describe. I would go for a refurb just after the next refresh. Your C2D sounds enviable- I am still on G4 tech!
     
  10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

    thejadedmonkey

    Joined:
    May 28, 2005
    Location:
    Pa
    #10
    I have the same MBP, and with 3 gigs of RAM I see no reason to upgrade. Maybe once SSD prices drop, I'll upgrade the HDD but really there's no reason to upgrade for your uses.
     
  11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

    andiwm2003

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2004
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #11
    +1 for that. I have a 2.4GHz MBP. It does all I need and is just portable enough.

    The next 1 or 2 upgrades are more like to be worth the money for you because a new CPU comes in. I would wait (in fact I do) till those MBP's appear in the refurb store and revisit the issue then. You don't want to upgrade for a 20% speed increase. Wait till you get a 50% or more speed increase and a SSD for $1500 refurb/edu.
     
  12. kellen macrumors 68020

    kellen

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #12
    If its the 2.4 MBP, they are offered as a refurb in the apple store for 1299. I would rather have that one, as it comes with a one year warranty and can be stretched out to 3 with apple care.
     
  13. jsol92 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    #13
    It's all up to you.
    In the end it all comes down to what YOU will be happiest with - regardless of the price.

    As others have suggested, wait until the MBP refresh. Current MBP's will drop in price and they will be more affordable :)
     
  14. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #14
    But then again, why not to wait till Sandy Bridge which will be released in early 2011 and will have +2.8GHz clock speed and 4 cores as default. Waiting game is endless but if you have a working computer already, then wait of course but if you really need one, you're better off buying one.
     
  15. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

    cyclotron451

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2005
    Location:
    Europe
    #15
    I'd personally wait, my even ancienter than yours MBP (core duo 2GHz from 2006) is showing signs that I should replace it. (occasional 30 second pause and spinning beach-ball of death for unknown reasons)
    As it's my meetings/conferences laptop I'll probably retire it for an iPad in April.
    4 years of hard-use is probably the start of the reliability 'bathtub' failure curve exponential problems increase for an MBP? Yours might have 2 years of left!
     
  16. puttputt macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2006
    Location:
    Michigan
    #16
    I think you should stick with what you have. I have the same model, and it works just fine and dandy for heftier apps than you use. I'm on my 3rd mac laptop. The first 2 were productive for 4-5 years. I plan on sticking with this one for 4. The upgrade you're looking at won't get you much for what will probably be a $500 net expense.
     
  17. Habitus macrumors 6502a

    Habitus

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2009
    Location:
    Where ever my life takes me...
    #17
    I know, I know. My apologies. Facilitate commerce by purchasing a new Mac, now!

    Habitus :apple:
     
  18. techound1 macrumors 68000

    techound1

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2006
    #18
    I'll retract my report to the HUAC right now. Perhaps we can save your career :D.
     
  19. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2008
    #19
    i would buy a refurb from apple, or wait till the next major upgrade
     

Share This Page