Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is better at this point SERO or Tmo's Family plan?

• Total voters

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
So I'm one of those lucky suckers that have been on Sprint's SERO plan for the last 7 years. But with the deals now and how Sprint is kicking out subsidized plans (maybe? I don't really understand what they're doing) I'm not sure it's worth sticking with it.

The current Sprint deal is $50 plus tax a month for 500 (landline) minutes and unlimited Mobile to Mobile, Unlimited Data and Text and 2 year contracts with a subsidized phone ($290 every 2 years for 16gb iPhone+Tax). I gave this plan to my wife about 5 years ago and I've moved onto a T-mobile Family plan with my parents and sisters. On T-mo I can get Unlimited Everything for $40 plus tax and then "lease" an iPhone to buy for $15.

Which would you all stick with? I'm kind of torn if I should move her onto T-Mo with me and then have 1 bill for roughly $60 a month (after tax) and not have to pay the $290 new phone fee or stick with Sprint and possibly have to lease through them which means drop another 15-20 a month on top of my $57 (after tax).

Anyone been dealing with this dilemma or can shed some light on what's going on at Sprint?

It doesn't seem like it's worth sticking with SERO anymore unless someone can clue me in on if i have some misinformation.

Thanks!

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I agree that coverage is the biggest factor.

I am currently on T-Mobile and in my areas the service is great, so I'm happy.

Due a full breakdown on price and see what the difference is.

You're paying full retail for the phone at T-Mobile vs subsidized at Sprint.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Weight your options in terms of coverage and total plan plus device cost, not whether it's subsidized or not. Then the decision should be clearer.

Also, take into consideration T-Mobile's uncarrier perks.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I agree that coverage is the biggest factor.

I am currently on T-Mobile and in my areas the service is great, so I'm happy.

Due a full breakdown on price and see what the difference is.

You're paying full retail for the phone at T-Mobile vs subsidized at Sprint.

Well this is for my wife. I'm already on tmo and the coverage in Los Angeles is good but sprint does get signal in some places that tmo does not. But that is few and far between.

Then there is the supposed notion that sprint is doing away with contracts and subsidized phones.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.