stickey key. do i rely have to replace entire KB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chazijam22, Mar 6, 2009.

1. chazijam22 macrumors newbie

the unthinkable happened... someone spilled rootbeer on my mbp keyboard. i quickly turned it off and disconnected the battery.i turned it upside down and sponged as much of it as i could. later when i turned it back on everything in the comp seemed to work fine except a stickey space bar. no problem i thought, when i brought it into the mac store the "genius" told me that i would have to replace the entire keyboard for $800 in order to do anything about this single stickey key. when i told her that that was ridiculous she continued to tell me that if i do not get it replaced that mold could grow and eventually ruin my computer? is this something i rely have to worry about, or was she just trained to say that so apple makes more money off of repairs? as you can see i am still typing just fine so i do not. feel like 800 dollars is worth it for something i may or may not need. is there any ideas to where i could get it cleaned or do i even need to? any input would be doing me a great favor. i just got the comp less than a month ago so for me to spend almost another thousand would be hard to do.

2. xoggyux macrumors 6502

I dont know what can you do, however if you do no find a way replacing the keyboard for a reasonable ammount of money (lets say in the $100 area, or... less) and you can live with the "sticky key" (which probably overtime will become unsticky :D) then just leave it like that. Do not spend $800 in fixing a computer since for that ammount of money you can almost buy a NEW MB and $800 is half way to a NEW MBP anyway.. if you are picky just sell it on ebay for ~$1000 or more (making sure your buyer knows about the accident offcourse) and buy a new one...... bottom line dont pay $800 to fix it no matter what.

3. andrewsd macrumors 6502

beer

Someone spilled some beer on my macbook keyboard and I took the keys off cleaned them and put them back on .. Every now and then it will get a tad stickey but nothing to bad. Also you can get a new top case for around 100 and that includes the keyboard. At least that is what I came across when I looked into it.
    good luck.. and I think the mold idea was b..s

4. youpey macrumors member

on my old laptop i spilled chocolate milk on the keyboard. 2 years later, a couple of keys still stick

5. chazijam22 thread starter macrumors newbie

where could i find somewhere to repair it. it has been a few weeks and its still the same... do i have to send it in or do smaller dealers do it cheaper than what i am finding on the internet. i found one website "macservice.com" but they still want 400.

6. zorahk macrumors 6502

7. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

did you pop the key off and clean underneath it?

8. ekoe macrumors member

+1. I agree. You can do it yourself at no cost.

9. ekoe macrumors member

Here's the ifixit guide for MBP keyboard...

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Core-2-Duo-Model-A1211-Keyboard/455/1

That is to remove the keyboard entirely. You may not have to remove the keyboard entirely however. You can actually pop the affected keys off the keyboard. Do a search for 'remove keycaps'. They come off and pop back on pretty easily. Just be a gentle and read about it first. You'll probably find photos of the keycap mounts which is helpful. Unless the rootbeer seeped around the plastic shielding beneath the keycaps, you won't need to remove or replace the keyboard. $800 is so steep for this service. $100 seems steep for this service to me.

One other thing. If you decide to remove the keyboard entirely to clean it, be sure to observe electro-static discharge technique. Buy an ESD wrist-strap. That, and some jeweller's screwdrivers are all you will need. Clean it up with some screen cleaning wipes.

Best of luck.