"Stickies.app" executes when I try to open a folder...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrCham, Jun 18, 2010.

1. mrCham macrumors newbie

mrCham

Hi, this is my first post here so sorry if I've posted it in the wrong forum.

I've been using a MBP 15" for 8 months now, before that I was all PC. Recently I discovered a minor problem that annoys me. When I try to open a folder from the dock, or when an application wants to open one (e.g after extracting with UnrarX) "Stickies.app" gets executed with the folder as a parameter. "Stickies.app couldn't load "Folder name"".

I have no idea on how to fix this problem.

(Running 10.6.4)

Edit : And also, in terminal; it says "95:~ mrCham$" ... I have no idea what it should say instead, but I don't remember it being like that before...

Cheers

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You could try new preference file

Not sure it will work, but it's reversible...
    Find the file, here:
    HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Stickies.plist
    Move it to the Desktop.
    Open Stickies. This will make a new default plist file. It should not affect the contents of any Stickies note to do this.
    Go to a problem folder and try to open it.
    Solved, verify that your Stickies notes are intact, then Trash the file on the Desktop.
    No good? Problems with Stickies? Put that file back in Preferences, overwriting the new default file.

Next...
    Log in under a different user account. Make one if you have to. Try the folder thing. Better? If so, it's time to migrate to a new user account. You'll spend more time trying to fix the old one and may never find the bug. Open Mac Help > Index > accounts and read up on making the switch. Questions? Come back here before you try it. Proceed with caution!!