Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should both topics be pinned?

• Yes, maybe for a few days.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Yosemite is Beautiful; Yosemite looks terrible!

Both very popular – many thousands of views, and there may be some ballooning following the recent release of 10.10. Naturally contentious. The former has a greater rating; the latter has more posts. And so on.

A suggestion: make both topics sticky. Temporarily … a few weeks maybe? Too unorthodox?

Just a thought.

Rationale: primarily to minimise posts that are entirely off-topic. One-off pinning/sticking (at the topic level) may be more effective, ultimately more pleasing than than repeatedly flagging things (at the individual post level).

Moderators: thanks for your consideration.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK

Both very popular – many thousands of views, and there may be some ballooning following the recent release of 10.10. Naturally contentious. The former has a greater rating; the latter has more posts. And so on.

A suggestion: make both topics sticky. Temporarily … a few weeks maybe? Too unorthodox?

Just a thought.

Rationale: primarily to minimise posts that are entirely off-topic. One-off pinning/sticking (at the topic level) may be more effective, ultimately more pleasing than than repeatedly flagging things (at the individual post level).

I agree, also they can hopefully spend more time policing the thread, because there is a lot of abuse.

Edit:

Just read your rationale bit. It's what I wrote anyway!

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Thanks, and a few thoughts

Thanks to dilap. Equal thanks to the two no-voters (I'll not push towards any particular outcome).

I like to show respect for opening posters, so I sent a private message to both individuals (with a blind carbon copy to a moderator). Their votes – and comments here, if they choose – will be valued.

Discreet (private) because if I promote this poll in both topics, it could be misconstrued as an attempt to stifle discussion. The opposite: there's a mass of genuinely interesting content in the diverse/overlapping points of view … minimising the number of "me too" posts should make it easier for readers, especially newcomers, to gain overviews and respond appropriately.

For the record: I see not too much abuse in recent weeks. But if there is the risk of abuse (I do expect a rush of popularity of Yosemite), it'll be nice to somehow nip it in the bud.

(Will sticking the two topics help readers to accept that there are extremely varied viewpoints; will sticking reduce the temptation to post carelessly? Dunno. A few words from experienced moderators could be good here.)

Alternative idea: a moderator-authored single-post sticky

A single brief post from a moderator could be pinned to draw attention to:
  • the topics
  • the value of (reading some of) then star-rating a topic
  • the value of up-voting
– I'll not poll for that. Just another idea.

(Side note: I do always up-vote posts that are entirely reasonable, even if I don't entirely agree with the poster's points of view in that post. That's a habit learnt from the pleasures of Stack Exchange (Ask Different in particular).)

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
Thanks to dilap. Equal thanks to the two no-voters (I'll not push towards any particular outcome).

I like to show respect for opening posters, so I sent a private message to both individuals (with a blind carbon copy to a moderator). Their votes – and comments here, if they choose – will be valued.

Discreet (private) because if I promote this poll in both topics, it could be misconstrued as an attempt to stifle discussion. The opposite: there's a mass of genuinely interesting content in the diverse/overlapping points of view … minimising the number of "me too" posts should make it easier for readers, especially newcomers, to gain overviews and respond appropriately.

For the record: I see not too much abuse in recent weeks. But if there is the risk of abuse (I do expect a rush of popularity of Yosemite), it'll be nice to somehow nip it in the bud.

(Will sticking the two topics help readers to accept that there are extremely varied viewpoints; will sticking reduce the temptation to post carelessly? Dunno. A few words from experienced moderators could be good here.)

Alternative idea: a moderator-authored single-post sticky

A single brief post from a moderator could be pinned to draw attention to:
  • the topics
  • the value of (reading some of) then star-rating a topic
  • the value of up-voting
– I'll not poll for that. Just another idea.

(Side note: I do always up-vote posts that are entirely reasonable, even if I don't entirely agree with the poster's points of view in that post. That's a habit learnt from the pleasures of Stack Exchange (Ask Different in particular).)

Let me know if they reply! About the disagreements, I think that they will me more to come. I don't think a merged thread would work, because that could mean even more disagreements, but I agree about "Alternative idea: a moderator-authored single-post sticky", it would mean more time for mods to be elsewhere.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Yep – the private message was bcc'd to a moderator. So that person should become aware of this poll.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
Yep – the private message was bcc'd to a moderator. So that person should become aware of this poll.

Tell me if they reply! Btw are you awake at midnight or in another country? I just wonder if people go on the forum at midnight. I am in the UK, so its 9:30am here.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
(Awake, too often, at ridiculous hours. UK. (OT: tinnitus 24/7 … posting passes the time … enough said.))

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The thread in question have been stuck, I or one of the other moderators will unstick them once we see activity dying down.

Reactions: grahamperrin

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.

Just a thought.

Thanks for your message grahamperrin. I think this is also helpful to posters as they'll be able to see and post how they feel in one thread instead of opening another thread that says "Yosemite sucks".

ilandmac

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2012
Remote island

Just a thought.

Second that !

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
With iOS-related https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-you-add-a-ios-9-topic.1878453/#post-21345487 in mind:
  • I assume that appearance of an OS X 10.11 sub-forum will coincide with the first day of WWDC 2015
– and within that sub-forum there'll be opportunities galore to find beauty and terror within Apple's next offering.

With those things in mind, unpinning of the two Yosemite topics is probably timely; not premature.

Onwards, and upwards. Or will it be sideways, down and backwards? We'll know, in a few days' time (WWDC). Forking? Wishful thinking. Pinning was fun whilst it lasted. Thanks for all the fish.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
As one of the two topics has closed (outrun its course), so I suggest:
  • closure of both
  • unpinning of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.