Sticking AT&T with high data usage...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by megapopular, Aug 16, 2008.

1. megapopular macrumors 6502a

So, peeps, I use my iPhone just as much as I want, but in the back of my mind I think that my data usage is kinda low. (350 mb so far) Should I get back at "the man" by leaving Pandora on all night to eat up large chunks of data? Maybe lots of us should do that!! I say this since the data charge increased quite a few bucks in my opinion and my selfish side wants to "get what I'm paying for".

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No, because you will only hurt others by uselessly hogging bandwidth. Also if everyone did this AT&T would be forced to put a cap and charge (like Rogers of Canada) for usage.

Also if you don't feel like you are getting what you are paying for you should stick with a the original EDGE iPhone.

3. gotzero macrumors 68040

Absolutely not!!!

I do not know about you, but in the mid-Atlantic area, some of us cannot stream anymore at all, and recently have been met with unresponsive data connections, probably because of overuse.

The data cap is not a goal to aspire to. Please think of other users. Knocking off networks should not be a goal.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Meh. I don't worry about it. I'm on WiFi 90% of the time, but I'm paying for availability during that other 10%.

I'm still under 300 MB since July 25th.

5. megapopular thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, I won't needlessly run up my data because it may hurt others including myself in the long run. Thanks, peeps!

6. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

Don't call me a peep, Dude!!

7. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Don't call him a dude, Bub!

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Then it would really suck.

9. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

I feel like I am paying extra for faster data speeds not more data. That being said, since I've had the new iPhone, I have noticed that I used about 100 MB more than with my old iPhone.

10. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

it's been reported that there already is a cap, 5 gig.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, but it's an 'invisible' cap in that it would be darned near impossible to hit it using only the phone.

Let's not give them a reasons to lower it to a real cap; the kind where you have to actually watch your numbers from month to month.

Anyway, that part of the argument is purely theoretical. The REAL reason not to do it is what everyone else has already said: Over-use merely makes it more difficult for others to make use of the network.

12. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

The most succesful people in history have all been petty little men like you want to be...

Not.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That cap does not apply to the iPhone.

The 5GB soft cap applies only to laptop data cards, and phones that have the AT&T "tethering" plan. And even then, they won't arse you about it unless you exceed the cap for two consecutive billing periods. Then they'll ask you what's up.

14. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

Bub??? I haven't heard that word since I watched an I Love Lucy rerun.