Sticking keys

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jclardy, Oct 20, 2016.

1. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

So I love my little 2015 macbook, even the keyboard, but every few weeks I am now getting a random sticking key that doesn't depress. Luckily I found the Apple proposed solution of using compressed air whilst holding the laptop upside down. But for real - the tiniest particles of dust seem to be causing this and it is super annoying. The keys still work, but they lose their tactility.

I'm planning on upgrading to whatever the new rMBP is, and I'm guessing the keyboard design may be similar. I'm hoping they have a solution to this...do other people have this issue?

2. Borja1055 macrumors regular

Same issue on a 2016 m5

3. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

My keys on my rMB have been a constant PITA. Always getting stuck, then getting better, then another one gets stuck. I'm wanting to upgrade my rMBP when the new one is released next week but knowing they are likely moving to the same keys as the rMB, may be enough for me not to upgrade. Hopefully apple has redesigned the keys in some way to prevent them from sticking so easily. I'm going to buy some compressed air today to see if that is a simple fix for the rMB.

4. Borja1055 macrumors regular

Please let us know how the compressed air works. Thanks.

5. rob.james.arias macrumors regular

rob.james.arias

Taking mine (rMB 2015) in tomorrow for the third keyboard replacement in 12 months. This machine sits on a desk in my office used only by me. I could understand if it was used and abused, however, this is out of control. I am out of warranty now and had asked last time for the unit to be replaced as it has had two screens fail, motherboard fail, casing replaced (not sure why), and this will be the third keyboard. I am 12 days out of warranty this time......... They wouldn't replace it as they said it needs 3 major repairs before they would consider it.

6. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I'm worried about this in the new MacBook Pro also. It's a lot of money for the keyboard to have this issue in the long run and out of warranty.