Sticking Magic Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hungry Horace, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Hungry Horace, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015

Hungry Horace macrumors newbie

Before anyone replies with comments like, 'Google is your friend' or 'Try the search button' and other non helpful comments like that, I have tried both and spent hours going through the suggestions without success. (tinfoil between connections, Piece of card on top of batteries, deleting bluetooth.plist etc etc)
    Basically I have a mid 2012 15" Macbook pro (non retina) running Yosemite, connected to a Thunderbolt monitor, with an external wired Apple keyboard and a Magic Mouse with the Mobee magic charger.
    Now I don't recall the mouse cursor sticking / juddering problem happening before I had the monitor, or Mobee charger, I have tried disconnecting the monitor but the problem persists, I have also gone back to using normal batteries (new) and still no luck.
    The strange thing is if I power down the Mac and re-boot the problem goes away and will return but at random timeframes, it could be 5 minutes or 5 hours.
    I have now connected a low end standard wired mouse and the issue is gone completely.
    Any suggestions would really be appreciated as I am at an end as to what to try and love the magic mouse when it works.

Thanks

2. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

3. Hungry Horace thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I do have one yes. I have an Ankar 4 port usb 3 hub plugged into the macbook usb port.
    The hub is about 3 inches above my mouse mat

4. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Move it much further away, it is most likely the cause.

This has a decent explanation. It's from the point of view of routers, but bluetooth also operates on the 2.4GHz band.

5. Hungry Horace thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, this is one solution I didn't find.
    I am away from home until Sunday, so I can't try it.
    I will report back and let you know if it's worked.

Thanks again

6. Hungry Horace thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry not to reply sooner, been real busy.
    It looks like your suggestion solved the issue, not had any problems since.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help.

7. Hungry Horace thread starter macrumors newbie

Would you believe, not 10 minutes after the last post the problem came back :-(

I noticed the internet became very choppy and intermittent at the same time, I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

8. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

You moved it next to your router which is broadcasting to your device on the 2.4GHz band?

You want to move it as far away as possible.

9. Hungry Horace thread starter macrumors newbie

No, router is in another room. My setup is Mb Pro Mid 2012, Magic Mouse, Thunderbolt Monitor, Anker USB 3 hub, Mobee magic charger, wired apple keyboard. I must admit the problem is not as bad as it was but it still makes using the mouse a problem.

10. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

11. Hungry Horace thread starter macrumors newbie

The hub is 23" away from the mouse and router is 12' away through a wall. The USB ports on the MB Pro are 14" away.

12. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Do you have any USB 3 Hard Drives near also? If so move it away too. Remember that the receivers for your wifi / bluetooth on the MBP are at the back of the device.

13. Hungry Horace thread starter macrumors newbie

No, the only things I have connected are what I mentioned in previous post

14. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

If you cut all power to the USB3 hub does the problem remain?

15. Hungry Horace thread starter macrumors newbie

I just unplugged the hub and the problem remained :-(

16. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

If you can try a different mouse, if it still occurs maybe get the receiver looked at by a Genius at an Apple Store.

It sounds more though like an interference issue from something, it's just nailing down what.

17. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

If you don't have any other bluetooth peripherals, try pairing your phone via bluetooth to the mac & using it as your data connection doing some light browsing then see if you get drop outs.

18. Hungry Horace thread starter macrumors newbie

19. Hungry Horace thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok the problem is the Wifi. If I use a wired connection it is fine. The strange thing is I can use the laptop and mouse together on Wifi with no problems, it only occurs when connected to the Thunderbolt monitor!!!

20. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Did you try it with another mouse? I got an MX Master lately and it's so nice, particularly because the occasional random disconnect / reconnects the magic mouse would have don't happen.

Glad you found a solution though (eventually!).