Sticking w/ the iPhone!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jw nyc, Nov 4, 2008.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

I was soooooooooo close to switching to the Blackberry Bold but I decided to stay with the iPhone. I'm one of those people that always wants to have the latest gadgets but I'm proud to say I was able to prevent myself from making a mistake by switching over. Yes, I hate that we don't have copy/paste and message forwarding but overall the iPhone is just the better device. The Bold can't even sync properly with a Mac computer (umm RIM you might wanna figure that one out kinda quick!)!! The app store is incredible and the Bold just seems to be running an OS a little long in the tooth.

I also didn't realize how amazing this was but the Blackberry also can't sync calendar/contacts over the air unless your company uses a BES! MobileMe is really incredible with the iPhone and it truly is "Exchange for the rest of us"! I had my problems (like the rest of you) with it early on but it has been flawless over the last few months! It's gonna take a LOT to make me switch.

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

it would be hard to move to any other device with a smaller screen than the iphone. but thats just me.

3. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I agree with your points and reasons. It ain't perfect, but it's the best we have available.

Be prepared to be hated on, though, methinks. The zeal of the iPhone fanboy crowd is at least matched (if not exceeded) by the fervor of the iHaters.

4. Jayrezzy macrumors newbie

yeah if you get another phone besides the iphone I feel like it would be a downgrade

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I'm in the process of selling one of my 3G phones on eBay right now so I can cover the cancellation fee and get a BB Bold. Once the iPhone sells, I will likely sell the other as well. The screen size really doesn't make that much difference.

I like the fact that the BB has the message indicator that can flash many differant colors such as purple for IMs from JiveTalk, red for emails, blue for SMS, violet for, well anything else!

I can also run Garmin Navigator in the background while texting or emailing and hear the turn by turn directions. I can even run Google maps. I can have my emails, SMS, weather, stocks and news all displayed on my home screen with a very cool app called eMobile Today.

I think that if I would have used a BB before I bought the iPhones, I never would have ever bought an iPhone to begin with.

Well, enjoy the iPhone. It still is a very cool phone/MP3 player. :)

6. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

cool, sounds like for your purposes the blackberry bold was the better choice.

I really just would never be able to live without the app store, it's honestly revolutionized the way I use my phone.

With that said, I do miss certain features like MMS, Video Recorder, as well as Turn by Turn nav, but not enough to get rid of my iPhone :)

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The iPhone pretty much changed my behavior too. I used to get the newest phone about every 3-4 months. I twas nice having a new phone, but a lot of that was because smartphones I had in the past never quite did everything I wanted it to do right, and so after a few months I'd be fed up and ready to move on.

In the 1 year+ I've had an iPhone, I haven't had a desire to switch to anything else, because it really does do what I need it to do, and it does it well. Not to mention, all of the new gadgets just don't measure up. The interfaces still don't look as cool, the touch screens still aren't quite as good, and they still aren't quite as stable, IMO. The G1 is probably the only phone that came close in terms of the software, but they made the hardware so horribly clunky that it's laughable. The iPhone still looks and feels like a "new" phone to me, and still looks and feels more stylish and modern-looking than the other stuff that exists.

So while the 1st Gen iPhone was probably the most expensive phone I've ever bought, it actually saved me quite a bit of money because I've stuck with it for so long and haven't felt the itch to buy new ones constantly.

besides, it also helps that I think Apple is the only handset maker that has really made good on being able to update the firmware for significant feature improvements. You would always be promised this on a Windows Mobile, Palm or Blackberry device, only to find that instead the handset makers saved the next major release for new hardware. It's nice that Apple is still working on new features and abilities with even the 1st Gen iPhone, because you get a "new" phone without having to really buy a new phone all over again.

8. richard371 macrumors 68000

I like both but

I have had the Bold for 2 weeks and did not realize how much I missed the Blackberry. The Iphone 3g is sexy, innovative, fun, lots of cool apps but at the end of the day the Bold is a better phone messaging device by a long shot. the Iphone has a better browser and multimedia. I carry the bold as my primary. I use a phone first for messaging, secondly for voice and third for all other applications.

The only app I realy want to make the Bold complete for me is shazam.

9. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

To be honest, if RIM made a legitimate Mac OS desktop manager I would probably have gotten the Bold. However, MobileMe has been incredible for me and it would be very hard to go back to making sure I synced my phone every day with a hard wire. Just too time consuming and old fashioned for me. The email on the iPhone has been perfect for me and I also love the threaded SMS. Again the major drawbacks of the iPhone for me are:
    1. No copy/paste
    2. No SMS forwarding
    3. Can't BBM w/ Blackberry friends (I know Apple can't fix this one but it's one of the major reasons I loved the BB when I had it)