Sticky Home Button

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tayzer, Jan 6, 2012.

1. tayzer macrumors newbie

I have a relatively new iPhone 4, but as of late the "Home" button has been sticking. I will have to hit it several times to get it to work, and sometimes even then it will not. Please help!!

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Just for clarification, do you mean it sticks in the sense that it depresses and then doesn't come back up right away? Or do you mean it sticks in the sense that it doesn't depress properly and thus doesn't touch the sensitive pad underneath it to invoke the Home Button pressed action?

3. tayzer thread starter macrumors newbie

The latter! Sorry for the lack of clarification.

4. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Okay that's a different story then. I've experienced that myself. You need a swap-out. They will definitely fight you on it though, so be firm. It's normal wear and tear no matter how they try to pin it on you or try to say it's the way you're pushing the button.

They tried to convince me I was pressing it wrong. Just like the antennagate "You're holding it wrong" crap.

5. tayzer thread starter macrumors newbie

Would they still swap it out considering that I've had it for several months and the problem is new?

6. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

Yes. My wife has had her iPhone 4 since June and she got a replacement less than two weeks ago for the same problem. As long as you're under a year or have apple care you should be fine.

7. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I've had 2 iPhone 4's and they both have had temperamental home buttons. I've learned to live with it. Sick of going back to the apple store. Seems like a widespread issue.

8. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Go to your local apple-fixer shop and have it replaced?

(not the OP, the last poster right above me)

Just a thought.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

10. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

Just tried this and it seems to have worked.

My home button wasn't sticking, but if you pressed it twice it might think you pressed it once or press it 3 times and it would think you pressed once or twice and sometimes it worked fine.

Just had a couple of minutes trying it after doing what he said in the video and now it seems to be 99% right where as before it was 50% or less.

Cheers for the link.

11. phi7588 macrumors member

You could also try the Alcohol trick. (Cotton ball with Alcohol while the unit is turned off)