Sticky home button?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcmanus7, Nov 1, 2008.

1. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

Alright I've had my iPhone 3G for exactly 1 month.... last night I was just checking my phone like normal... hit the home key but I heard a loud click.... didn't think anything of it... however this morning I noticed my home button is not centered... and every 2nd or 3rd depression of the home button it doesn't bounce back it gets stuck on the outside lip......

any advice????? for canadian users... does anyone know who i should contact? apple or fido/rogers?

2. daisuke07 macrumors regular

3. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ya with iKlear... its not physically sticky.. its getting stuck on the the screen... called up the local apple store... got a appointment with them... they said if they can't resolve it they'll most likely replace it

4. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

If you're on rogers go to Rogers, if Fido go there. Sounds like something broke.

5. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I talked to Fido.... they will just send it to apple... so I called apple and they're like just come here...

6. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

has anyone else experienced this??? my home button now constantly makes a very loud click sound...

7. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

I sort of have, it's on my macbook white, the right side of the click-pad, under the trackpad. When I press it there, there is a loud click noise :(

8. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    maybe if you didn't spend so much time on *******.com your iphone wouldn't be sticky

9. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha funny... its not actually STICKY..... it's physically sticking... exactly how sergiuria's macbook does...

10. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

I was about to say something similar LOL:cool:

11. detz macrumors 65816

If a little piece of dirt or something gets under there this will happen, it's almost impossible to clean.

12. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm... I'm not sure if anything got stuck in there... it feels as if the home button is physically broken... even when it's unstuck it doesn't look centered... there's almost 0 space along the bottom and a wider gap towards the top... we'll see what the :apple: genius says tomorrow

13. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Something may have gotten stuck, but it sounds as if the button is no longer flush (as you said there's a gap) and the Home button is getting caught, not so much as sticking (I understand what you mean by sticking though.) It's clipping the monitor glass. Interesting. I have never heard of this, but think it's highly possible. My first generation iPhone had a wiggly home button that you could move in a circular motion and still does. I dealt with it for a while because the Genius gave me a BS line "The problem is within spec" and pissed me off. Gave it to my mom, and she could care less, luckily my 3G is perfect.

In your case I'm thinking they will replace it. It is a problem that is impairing the functionality of the iPhone. By it getting stuck or fixed in the down position it inhibits the use of the home button.

14. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll let you guys know what happens... it's a pita... because as soon as it sticks and as you say its getting stuck under the glass... it keeps the home button pressed.... which means if I'm doing anything it backs out to the home screen.

When I called in the genius I talked to was very helpful and was very polite... our Apple store is fairly new opened maybe 2 months ago so they seem to be very good with customer service so wish me luck!

15. spikedfo macrumors regular

:)
    good luck~

16. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No questions asked... they gave me a new iphone 3g.... well there's no real way of determining if it's 100% new... but it looks great... no contacts no pictures etc... everything 100% working... the staff was great!

17. jsimpson macrumors regular

jsimpson

Had a similar issue, took it in today and they replaced it with no issue. Mine was very hard to press and then it clicked really loud and then had kind of a harder click to it from then out. The only other thing was on occasion it would not work. It would either not wake the phone up or it would not back out of an app.The genius did say they had not gotten into actual refurbs yet and it was a new unit. It did have the 5k serial # so who knows for sure. It is pristine though I can attest to that. Very good service from the Genius @ The Apple store here in Birmingham,Al.

18. one1 macrumors 65816

You are going to start seeing this as the next big thing. This is a big failure rate in the 3G and part of the build quality issues that are continuing to plague the 3G.

19. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

interesting... I didn't think it was that common of a problem... by the way the genius reacted it seemed like it was rare... he said the most common problem he saw was the vibrate switch falling off

20. jsimpson macrumors regular

jsimpson

Yeah same here, he hadn't seen or heard of the home button issue. He said the cracked cases were the big thing for a while but that has fallen off so he said.

21. Iamthegiraffe macrumors newbie

iPhone loud home button

I have had my iPhone for less than a month now and I'm having a slight problem with it.

The home button works fine, but it has a very loud clicking noise that doesn't sound right. When I first got it, it had no such problem but now it does and it's a little annoying.

Should I take it to an apple store or do you think I should just wait it out and see if it goes away?

Please email me at iamthegiraffe@gmail.com if you have some advice.

Thank you very much if you have any

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

mines like that too. i hate it, sometimes i feel as if im hitting two ridges when i press the button as opposed to one, not to mention the sound of two clicks

however, its only like half the time i press it so very weird. all i know is that its not cool

worth taking it to the apple store and see for a replacement? i mean i have to use this thing for another 1.5 years...

23. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

take it in for a replacement the home button is broken... it is not supposed to be like that at all..

24. Iamthegiraffe macrumors newbie

Yeah mine is having the exact same problem. Let me know what you do.

Iamthegiraffe@gmail.com