Sticky, Jerky Bluetooth Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by IJ Reilly, Jul 15, 2007.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've got an original Apple Bluetooth mouse, about three years old. It's becoming more and more difficult to use because it seems to stick to the table top, causing the cursor to jump around. It's never been as smooth and accurate as I'd have liked, but now it's becoming almost impossible to use comfortably. I've tried cleaning the glider on the bottom thoroughly and even waxing the table top with Pledge, but nothing seems to improve its performance. I thought the table itself might be the culprit, until I used the mouse paired with my PowerBook in another location yesterday, and it drove me nuts. Now I'm thinking it might be a problem with the LED emitter, but I can't imagine what could go wrong with it. Has anyone ever seen a similar problem? Thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've seen jerky behaviour caused by the brand (or specifications) of the batteries on occasion... I'm not sure it's necessarily relevant for you, but it might be something to keep in mind. Maybe reformat your drive and reinstall OSX. That'll probably help too.

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

I know this sounds stupid but have to tried a mouse pad. As I had the same problem with my MM on my desk with a glossy finish

5. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I have tried a mouse pad -- only makes it worse. Every surface I've tried has the same problem, more or less. If I lift slightly on the mouse it moves more smoothly than if I try to mouse with it's full weight and the weight of my hand. I think it must have something to do with the Teflon gliders, but they are clean, so I don't know what. Nobody else has experienced this issue?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Incredibly wise. You know that. I was serious about the batteries though. It could be a power throughput problem or something so at least try some high quality cells in it form a different brand, if you haven't already. I use rechargeables and they eventually die. This is one of the signs they're on the way out sometimes. :)

7. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Go ahead, pull the other one.

Seriously, are you serious?

For the record, I use ordinary disposable alkaline cells because the rechargeable cells start with a lower voltage and consequently don't last long.

8. rjames86 macrumors member

I don't know if that whole battery thing is true, but I have used two different bluetooth mice. One is a small travel macally BT mouse and the other is the apple bluetooth mouse. Both actually do the same thing, jump around and all that. It seems to be my mousepad, I tried using just a plain white piece of paper as a mousepad and the issue seemed to go away. Give it a try and tell me if you see a difference. Don't re-install your OS because your mouse skips....dumb.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, so the reinstall was a joke. ;)

However, the battery thing wasn't. I know the rechargeable batteries aren't as good on the whole, so try a different brand of regular batteries and see if it's any different. :)

10. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So you've got different flavors of voltage in Oz?

I've tried any number of surfaces with this mouse. None work to my satisfaction. I'm getting ready to hurl this thing against a wall.

11. vandlism macrumors 6502

i know this has generally been an issue with usb 1.1 and 2, and different versions of bluetooth.

have you tried cleaning the contact points with an eraser? it works for cordless phones, couldn't hurt here.

12. MatthewCobb macrumors regular

You have a piece of crap in the LED underneath. Blow hard into it, shake your mouse a bit, turn it on and off and all will be well. Honest.

13. remora macrumors newbie

Matthew, you're a ripper. I had the same problem, restarted the computer, changed the battery, kicked it, swore at it - nothing.

Read your advice, gave it a good blow and, eureka.

Goodonya.

14. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In my case, blowing the LED with canned air didn't help. It still feels like the mouse sticks to the table.

15. roker macrumors regular

roker

Well, I don't mean this sarcastically, & you've probably already done this (& you have said this happens frequently) but, simply because nobody else has said it & because you haven't said you have found a fix yet, I will daringly mention that my BT Mighty Mouse, on occasion (4-5 times in the 2 weeks I've had it) has been really jerky & eratic, & completely unsusable- until I "Turn Bluetooth Off" on my MBP, then turn it back on & when it re--pairs it goes smooth & fine. I'm sorry to have patronised you :D

16. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No worries. I'll let you know when I feel patronized. ;)

This mouse gets swapped between my PowerBook and desktop Mac quite regularly, so it's often re-paired. It behaves the same way in both configurations and on different surfaces. It's really feeling like it "grabs" at the table. I wonder if the gliders aren't simply worn out. That would explain everything, but I've never heard of this happening before.

17. mrlunch macrumors newbie

mrlunch

I have the same problem. It's driving me crazy. I'm beginning to think it might be some sort of interference in my office. I've tried two different brand of mice both act the same way.