Sticky keyboard!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jon0190, Sep 12, 2011.

1. jon0190 macrumors newbie

I spilled a tiny bit of mango juice on my Air yesterday and was relieved that nothing was damaged. I went to bed thinking that all was well, but woke up to discover that a few keys feel very mushy (mainly the space bar).

I read that the Apple Store replaces keyboards free of charge for MacBooks under warranty (I've had mine for less than two months), but the Air is probably harder to open up than regular MacBooks. I'm not brave enough to open it up myself, so should I take it to the Apple Store? I just need it cleaned really...

2. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Yeah, I would just take it and be honest about the situation. I'm sure they will be glad to help you since you didn't try to pull a fast one on them. Otherwise it would be difficult to use. Good luck.

3. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

The keyboard replacements you are talking about are the non unibody machines. They have a design flaw in them. On a 2month old MacBook, you will find no such free repair.... Sorry...

4. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

You're going to have to remove the keys one by one, and wipe the juice off of them and the key scissors with isopropyl alcohol & a q-tip. Set a side an hour or two for doing this to every single key, since it's tedious work. I did this to my macbook when I spilled pepsi in it.

5. litchblade macrumors member

Yeah I would also try what kbfr08 just wrote. If this does not work 100% go to your Dealer and try to change the keyboard, I read somewhere something about 50$ it could cost for you, but actually it's worth the money if it is not working perfectly anymore

6. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

They will not help you, your warranty is voided.

7. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Honestly, I find the keyboard feels stickier in general (without anything spilling on them). THe keys seem to be made of different material than the iMac keyboards... which seem to have this soft touch to them. Not so with the Airs. THe keys seem to feel sticky just from own body perspiration in the fingertips. Kind of annoying, actually.

Sorry about the juice, OP.

8. jon0190 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, props to Apple's customer service. When I brought it in and explained my accident, they were totally understanding and said they'd need to send it to the regional repair center since they would need to replace the entire bottom part.

I said that I can't wait the 5-7 days to get it back because of school, so they let me exchange it right then and there even though I bought it online and was way past the 14-day return window. Really glad I kept the box!

No other computer manufacturer would have even offered to repair it free of charge, let alone exchange it unconditionally if they knew the problem was caused by accidental damage. A+