Sticky Keys (underneath, I mean)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maestrocasa, Sep 20, 2007.

1. maestrocasa macrumors regular

OK, So my girlfriend's MB survived me spilling some beer on it, and is working great. except, several of the keys in the lower right are sticky: arrow keys, right side apple key, space bar, mouse button. What's a good option for cleaning underneath the keys? do they pop off like on a standard keyboard? Can I squirt small amounts of alcohol under them, work the key a few times, and wait for it to evaporate? The keys are working, just real slow on the release. should I just wait and hope it works itself out?

2. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I'd say remove the keyboard from the unit, wash it out and then reinstall it, it'll take you 2 hrs max.

3. maestrocasa thread starter macrumors regular

from what i can tell, the keyboard doesn't remove easily, like it did in PB G3/G4. you have to unscrew and remove the entire top plate of the machine, and the keyboard comes off with it. that's a little intimidating. anyone got any other ideas for how to get under those keys?

4. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

As far as I know, it's a MacBook, not MacBook Pro. The keys do come off IIRC.

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

To remove keys, its extremely hard, not even worth it. The one way you can do it is by taking the top frame off and dealing with the keyboard from there.

6. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

On a MacBook? Don't they just pop off?

7. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

they do on a MacbookPro, and on a Macbook too, just found on google here

8. Eshyn macrumors member

I recently dealt with a beer spill on my uMBP. I had to have the optical drive replaced and now everything is fine except for 2 sticky keys - the volume down and the backspace key.

I mentioned this at the repair center when I went to pick it up and they gave me the, 'It's difficult and expensive to get to the keys by disassembling the computer' speech.

Is it possible to pop off the backspace and or volume down key and clean it myself?

9. yoyomaster macrumors regular

I popped off my spacebar on my umb with a toothpick and cleaned it, they should come off just be careful and not too forceful.

10. Eshyn macrumors member

I saw a Youtube video of someone doing that. I may try it, I'm just a little nervous.

Thanks for the advice.

11. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I am here to hold your hand if you need it, that is what MR members are for.

12. Eshyn macrumors member

:D

That would be much appreciated. Thank you.

13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

*spits on hand* :D

put it there budd...

14. Eshyn macrumors member

:D

So I guess until I build up enough courage to try and pop it off I'll just try and ignore it.

I've read that the backspace key is a bit more complicated when removing because it has a metal bracket. Is this true?