Sticky Keys. What are my options?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by xkr, Feb 7, 2016.

1. xkr macrumors newbie

I bought a car with a mac book air wedged in between the seats. Further investigation reveals that some kind of juice or soda was spilt on the keyboard since the keys stick pretty bad. I think all of the keys work. You really have to slam hard on a few to get them working but other than that, it seems functional. What do I do in this case? Pull each key off and clean it like that? Pull the whole keyboard and clean it or just replace it with a new one? I only want to resource to that option last since I don't want to spend that kind of money at the moment. It's an A1317 11 inch. It has not been reported lost or stolen.

2. danwestbrook macrumors regular

danwestbrook

Worth trying to take one off and cleaning it and see if it's any better, just be careful not to break them. Otherwise the cheapest option might be just to buy a bluetooth keyboard and mouse if you don't want to pay to much money.

3. xkr thread starter macrumors newbie

yea they're very easy to break. I think I broke the power button lol. The only way it turns on now is if I let it die and attach the power cable to it. So if I did want to spend the money on this, is the Apple store the best place to go for the repair?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I think I missed something here...
    Where can I buy a used car with a MBAir wedged in between the seats? :D

Was that a city or police "as-is" auction?
    How does that happen, and the laptop does not belong to the previous owner?

5. xkr thread starter macrumors newbie

haha yea it was an insurance auto auction so I have no idea who the previous owner was. If I bought this car off of them, there is no doubt in my mind that I would return the laptop to the rightful owner. I got into one accounts since the password hint was, "food cracker fish" (goldfish, obviously). All text was in Chinese anyways so I can't track them down and judging by the condition, it was their kids. The browsing history also consisted of club penguin lol. So yea, since the cars are"as-is" all the content in the car is legally mine. I'm curious to see what info is on the main account but it's none of my bushiness so I'm just going to wipe it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I wouldn't clean it up. I'd just use it like you'd use a Mac Mini; hooked up to a TV or something, or as a (file) server.

7. xkr thread starter macrumors newbie

That is a possibility. It would be more easy to watch movies on my living room tv via a flash drive if I had a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter. I currently use my ps3 and a flash drive to watch downloaded movies on it but it's kind of annoying since not all file types work.

I'm currently using my basic white macbook from 2010 which has seen better days. It overheats a lot and I need to replace the battery. So finding this macbook air was awesome since I don't want to spend 2500 on a macbook pro just yet.