sticky keys.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lewys, Jun 29, 2011.

1. lewys macrumors 6502

lewys

i got my iMac from the apple store around a week ago and today when i used the keyboard the C,F, and space bar feel harder to push down and kind of spongy when i push it down. I am pretty sure it is because i spilled a drop of cola on it yesterday but i cleaned it off and didnt think it went under the keys.

i know it was my fault but could i take it back and see if they can do anything to it or even exchange it?

will they not do anything if i have spilled something on it?

thanks

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I'm trying very hard not to make such obvious jokes. I'll leave it to others.

I would take it down to the Apple store and have a genius assist you in popping the keys off for a cleaning.

3. lewys thread starter macrumors 6502

lewys

thats why i said cola so people wouldnt get the wrong idea ha

4. Air2 macrumors member

If Apple does not help, you can try taking the keys off yourself. The spacebar is a bit tricky, but the C & F keys should come off easily if you lift them with a screwdriver from the bottom (of the key, not the aluminium keyboard :)). However, you might break the delicate plastic pieces below the keys. If a lot of other keys are affected, things become more difficult as the best direction for removing keys differs.
    Instead you might put the keyboard in your dishwasher (low temp program and no hot air cleaning afterwards!), let it dry for 48h and then plug it in again. Several people on the internet claim that it worked for them. Disbelieving me tried to manually clean a whole keyboard and ended up with 3 keys not working (good quota but not good enough to avoid buying a new one).