Sticky keys

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cherrysftw, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Cherrysftw macrumors member

My left hand side of the keyboard is very sticky, like it makes a click sound as if there is dust or some sticky residue.

I took the key letters out, cleaned them and the internal structure but I didnt take out the white clip.

I imagine the problem lies under the white clip. Is this difficult to take out without causing damage?

Cheers

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I suppose this would have been mentioned if so, but is there any chance that liquids or any substances (while "doing your taxes") could have gotten underneath the keys? Do you clean them frequently, and maybe a cleaning solution seeped in there with not enough damage to short anything?

3. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

Taxes can be ...taxing on a great number of things.

4. Cherrysftw thread starter macrumors member

Im not sure, i can only speculate atm. It works as usual, the keys are just so sticky.

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It is possible that it would still function after any liquids have made their way underneath. Unlikely, but certainly possible. Have you been the only owner of the computer?

I suppose the only true way to handle it would be a teardown, but I would definitely recommend an iFixit guide to at least look over how to get underneath the keyboard.