Sticky macbook pro mid 2010 keys, underneath

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jed213, May 17, 2010.

1. Jed213 macrumors newbie

Recently spilled pepsi on my macbook pro and had it cleaned and diagnosed, everything is fine except for sticky keys around where the pepsi was spilled. They are still usable and I have cleaned them with isopropyl which has helped, they are fine when I first use it, but after it heats up they become sticky again especially the space bar. In order to fix this I have been told I will need to replace the top shell, I can't afford this and was wondering if anyone else can tell me how to clean it without it costing me a fortune and taking into account that I have never taken a computer apart.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would peel off the space bar and then try to clean it up with some rubbing alcohol.

I recently splashed some coke onto my keyboard (just a drop) and it got underneath my option key. It was sticky, so I popped it off, and cleaned. And easy fix.

3. Jed213 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I have been considering popping some keys off, I'm just worried about damaging them as it is quiet a few keys that need cleaned, including the space bar and delete key. Could you please explain to me how to take them off, I have seen some videos on youtube but can't find the correct model. Am I likely to damage the keys?

4. Jed213 thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you please explain to me how you removed your space bar? I don't want to break it.