Sticky Retina MBP Keys After Spill

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ForeverG5, Mar 19, 2013.

1. ForeverG5 macrumors newbie

ForeverG5

Hi everyone! I know there have been threads on this in the past but I felt my situation was a little unique and specific so maybe I should start my own. I bought a 13" Retina MacBook Pro a week and a half ago and as ridiculous as it sounds, I spilled some Twisted Tea on it. I have an iSkin keyboard cover so that caught most of it. It definitely could have been worse.

After cleaning up the spill, I noticed that the only keys that were effected were really the space bar, the CMD keys and the letter C key. I took it to the Genius Bar today. The Genius opened up my laptop and did not see any liquid damage so he said I would qualify for it to be shipped out to the repair center under my 1 year Apple warranty. He did say though that if I shipped it out, it would be about 3-5 days and if they find liquid in the actual keyboard when going to replace it, that will void my warranty and I will have to pay $655 to replace it. I do not want to do that. I'm debating if it is even worth sending out and being without a computer for 3-5 days for them to only turn around and say they can't replace it for free. I know they are going to find liquid otherwise the keys wouldn't be sticking, ya know?

So, I did some research. I found online that you can remove the keys yourself and clean them individually with a Q-tip or something. I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing that. It makes me anxious. Does anyone know of a cheaper repair company that would be authorized to fix this for me maybe? I'm desperate.

Thank you guys!

2. mykem macrumors regular

I got a better idea. Bring yours in, box and all, but keep it conspicuous in a shopping bag. Tell the staff at Apple Store that you want a 13" rMBP (fully decked to the max) and when brings it out, have your friend (yes, bring a friend) distract him while you do a quick switcheroo. Then tell the guy you left you CC at home and will be back later.

3. ForeverG5 thread starter macrumors newbie

ForeverG5

I'd like to do this in an honest way. And I also would like to avoid exchanging it because I have already loaded all my data and set up this machine.

4. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

5. robvas macrumors 68020

6. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

lol

Or perhaps get a group of mates together, buy some black Honda Civics and fit them with green under-chasis neons. Then find out when the lorry load of Apple products leaves a nearby port... :D

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Wow. Remind me never to buy anything from you. :rolleyes:

8. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

He had one..

9. theturtle macrumors 6502a

Damn. So if you send it in and pay the 600+ to get it repaired, they would still void the warranty?

10. robvas macrumors 68020

They are covering their butts in case some other part was damaged by the spill and doesn't show it yet.

11. MacBookMan217 macrumors newbie

Not sure how much you'll want to do this to your computer, but I recently spilt iced tea on one of my Apple wireless keyboards. I sprayed some window cleaner directly onto the left shift key in my case, and used a can of compressed air to remove the window cleaner. The key works fine now.