Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukeman3000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Does anyone else have a "sticky" volume button? My "up" clicks very nicely when I press it, but the "down" doesn't click that well. Is that a cause for return or is something like that to be expected? For the record, this is my third iPhone (after having returned 2 for other reasons). The first iPhone's screen was not seated well and could be pushed into the housing slightly. The second iPhone's screen had a very rough edge b/c it was seated too low into the housing, but only on the right side.

I am beginning to see that the build quality of these phones is not as high as I thought they would be, and it looks like I will always have to put up with at least some kind of problem. I admit to being overly anal about these sorts of things, but I can't help it but feeling like I should have a relatively problem-free device for 5 or 6 hundred bucks. Am I wrong? Still, Just wondering if a "sticky" volume button is relatively common or not. If I call apple back asking for another replacement, they will probably reach through the phone and slap me in the face, but it's not my fault that there seems to always be some problem with each phone I receive...

shinenjk

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Boston, MA
Does anyone else have a "sticky" volume button? My "up" clicks very nicely when I press it, but the "down" doesn't click that well. Is that a cause for return or is something like that to be expected? For the record, this is my third iPhone (after having returned 2 for other reasons). The first iPhone's screen was not seated well and could be pushed into the housing slightly. The second iPhone's screen had a very rough edge b/c it was seated too low into the housing, but only on the right side.

I am beginning to see that the build quality of these phones is not as high as I thought they would be, and it looks like I will always have to put up with at least some kind of problem. I admit to being overly anal about these sorts of things, but I can't help it but feeling like I should have a relatively problem-free device for 5 or 6 hundred bucks. Am I wrong? Still, Just wondering if a "sticky" volume button is relatively common or not. If I call apple back asking for another replacement, they will probably reach through the phone and slap me in the face, but it's not my fault that there seems to always be some problem with each phone I receive...

When in doubt, make a mac genius appointment with the thought of exchange in mind.

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
at least your not as anal as me
there is this panel in my car where i put a switch for my garage door opener
and i drilled the whole and the bit walked out on me
and the hole is like 1-2 mm off set
i searched for a replacement for like a week and called anyone i know who had the car and see if they could sell theres

that is anal,
your just making sure you get what you paid for

lukeman3000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
at least your not as anal as me
there is this panel in my car where i put a switch for my garage door opener
and i drilled the whole and the bit walked out on me
and the hole is like 1-2 mm off set
i searched for a replacement for like a week and called anyone i know who had the car and see if they could sell theres

that is anal,
your just making sure you get what you paid for

Thanks, that makes me feel better. But still, I know that I am at least slightly OC about certain things, especially symmetry and balance. If I did what you did, it would drive me crazy and it would probably take forever for me to either give it up or find another panel, b/c I would keep looking. It's weird though, because I bought a truck with a lot of asymmetry and it doesn't bother me at all. For example, on the stick shifter rattles like crazy when I accelerate from 1st gear b/c the handle is loose, a panel is missing from the driver side door, one of the rain guards above the window broke off almost entirely in the wind one day.. I think it's because I know that I am getting another vehicle that I can live with these things. I don't know why certain things bother me and others don't, but little things like sticky buttons and the like.. I can think about stuff like that for days and I'm sure it's un-healthy. Really trying to improve, and that's why I am going to try my best to live my sticky button and be happy with it! There will always be "something" wrong with anything if I look hard enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.