Sticky Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by suneohair, Apr 8, 2007.

1. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I just came across this app, looks pretty neat and rather useful. Thought I would share.

Make sure you watch the demo video. http://www.donelleschi.com/stickywindows/

Sorry if this is a repost, I searched and didn't find anything.

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I have to question the practicalness of this application - it seems to do the exactly the same as the dock and by the looks of the demo when you bring one tab up the previous disappears.

This just seems to imitate the dock's purpose in a slightly different manner.

I daresay some people find it useful though, otherwise there wouldn't be a niche for it. :confused:

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it can be useful. but certainly its not for everyone, all depends on how you work. and i can see it being more useful for those with lower res screens too.
    the best aspect is not having to sort how which thumbnail is which minimized in the dock, imo.

5. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

the only way i would find it usefull is if there was a minimize button at the top left of a window to make it a tab

6. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

I think it can be more of a helper application as opposed to replacing OS X features.

For example. I visit MacRumors daily, as well as other news/blog sites. I could simple have a tab on the side for that purpose. And put it away when I don't need it. I personally don't like how the dock becomes cluttered when you put away multiple windows.

I think it acts as better management for open windows. I do agree that a buttton in the top would be useful to make it a tab automatically.

I just wish the hot pink theme was changeable. :p

7. EngBrian macrumors regular

I am not arguing for or against this software but looking at the demo it appears you can change the way the tab behaves when a different one is selected. You can change them from "automatic" to "manual". With manual leaving the existing window open when you click on another tab. (Note: I don't have this software to confirm this I am just going by the demo on the site)

8. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

This functionality has already been out for a while, e.g. through WindowShade X. The cool thing about that app is that it also allows you to manipulate your windows in other ways, e.g. make them translucent, float on top, and set mouse or keyboard-shortcut for all these functions. Plus, it's only $10, which is less than this app costs, I think.