Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Scepticalscribe, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have recently read Stieg Larsson's stunning Millenium Trilogy (The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest) and have to say it was the best set of thrillers I have read in years. Decades, possibly. Actually, I found that once I started them I couldn't put them down; they kept me from sleep several nights in a row. Absolutely gripping stuff and very good characterisation.

As usual, I had been a bit sceptical on account of the hype that surrounded the books, but, for once, the hype is justified. Has anyone else come across them, or read them?

Cheers

2. powerdave macrumors regular

Fantastic books! What a tragedy that Stieg Larsson is no longer alive.
    I've just finished the second part and will buy the third at the weekend.

A great read by all accounts- a proper dark, complex thriller series with great character development. We'll be seeing Hollywood adaptations of these in no time... there is already a Swedish film base on the first book.

3. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Yep loved them!
    The second film is out now, third soon to follow.

4. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I hope we don't see Hollywood adaptations - I find it hard to think of one really good Hollywood adaptation of books I loved (for one thing, everyone is too beautiful); I know a Swedish movie has been made, but I'm not sure how one could do justice to such powerful books, and great female characters, too, not simply cliches.

Cheers

5. powerdave macrumors regular

I agree with you alright, but I think it's already under discussion!

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Have just finished reading the 3rd book - all are excellent (but have to be read in order !!).

Hollywood is on the case - George Clooney and Johnny Depp have been mentioned so far - but no sign of anyone to play Lisbeth.....

7. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

If you don't want the movies to be remade, don't watch the remakes. Problem solved.

8. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Of course, of course, it's just that I hate seeing books I loved trivialised, or prettified, or transformed into something other than the brilliant, complex, ambiguous, nuanced, subtle and layered stories that I adored which described the rich tapestry of life in all of its many and glorious imperfections. To my mind, European filmakers capture this sort of world far better because they attempt to portray what was written, in a visual form, rather than remake the world as they would like to see it.

Anyone else out there love Stieg Larsson's books?

Cheers

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Yes, I love the books and dread what hollywood will do to them. Incidentally there is a rumour that there is a fourth book on his computer that his girlfriend has,if it's true or not I don't know but we can hope.

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Let's hope she does regular backups…

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Well he was a Mac man as the stories reveal so hopefully he'll have time machine backups on a drive somewhere.:)

12. MovieJam macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Good to see a discussion about Stieg Larsson, and indeed - the original films!

Just wanted to let you all know that the Swedish movie adaptation of the book is coming to UK cinema's on March 12th 2010.

Its an incredible book and the film is said to be a very close adaptation.

For more info, including images, trailers and competitions check out - www.facebook.com/thegirlwiththedragontattoouk

Cheers all, let us know what you think!

13. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Thanks for this information, I'm delighted to learn that a close adaptation (inevitably European) has been made and should be released soon. Actually, I have been re-reading the books, and they are still superb. It is a real pity that Stieg Larsson himslf is no longer with us to add to this impressive trilogy.

Arkitect and Petrokro, you may want to check out an interesting piece Nick Cohen wrote in The Observer a few months ago, where he described the nasty on-going battle between Larsson's partner, (whom Erika seems to be loosely based on) and his estranged family over his estate.

For a variety of reasons, mostly security based (married couples are supposed to publicly file their addresses under state law), Larsson and his long-time partner never married and he never made a will. Larsson himself was a very well-known left-wing journalist who regularly received death threats from the far right, for this was a murky world he explored professionally (and knew all too well, as his books attest). However, the fact that he did not make a will meant that his entire estate went to his estranged father and brother, who have sought to exclude his partner. It is an interesting (and tragic) twist, worthy of inclusion in his stories.

Cheers

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

^^ Yes I've read that piece and a couple of others,it amazes me that a country like Sweden has such antiquated laws the situation wouldn't happen in New Zealand for instance where a co-habitee (of more than six months) would have a legal right to inherit with or without a will.

15. Magne macrumors newbie

I come from Denmark and understand swedish as much as danish. ive read all 3 books and ive come to love them very much... in my opinion the movies made in swedish is very good, except that you miss alot in subs.
    I dont think that Hollywood could make version that would justify that books in anyway. The swedish movies har indeed.. Btw, the actress that plays Lisbeth Salander in the movies is the perfekt women for the job. Those of you havent see the movies yet, will agree with me when you do, i think :D

16. MovieJam macrumors newbie

Want to see the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo first and for free?
    Head to our Facebook page where we’ll shortly be announcing details of free preview tickets – plus enter our comp for a holiday to Sweden!
    www.facebook.com/thegirlwiththedragontattoouk