Stiff keys after battery and hard drive swap.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Canaan, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Canaan macrumors member

I swapped my battery and hard drive today in my mid 2009 Macbook Pro and noticed thereafter that some of my keys are now stiffer and click loudly. I should mention that I did spill a few drops of tea on the device the day before, but the keyboard and device were fine beforehand so I'm doubtful that that was the cause. It may have caused the dimming of the backlight however... :(

Is it possible that the keyboard parts are slightly misaligned now and maybe opening things back up and repositioning would help? I have an appointment set up but of course I am out of warranty, and it is likely something I've done. I also don't have the money to pay them for any repairs.

Any and all suggestions or advice are welcome and appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I think it's the tea, but it doesn't hurt to try and reseat the keyboard again.

3. Canaan thread starter macrumors member

So as an update, I pulled off some of the worst keys and cleaned under them and that has seemed to help. Oddly though it also seemed to help other keys as well. We'll see how it goes from now on. The backlighting is likely something that would require a complete disassembly and cleaning so I'll just leave that be.