Stiff unsticking smartncover

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by MacSketcher, Apr 5, 2012.

1. MacSketcher macrumors newbie

I recently picked up red smart cover online. However, since I've had it I have noticed that the stand function/folding function does not seem to work very well. It is very stiff to fold and whenever I try to fold it into a stand the fold does not hold very well. It's almost as if the magnets in the cover are not strong enough.

I am starting to wonder if this cover is maybe a knock off, because, as I said it is a red smart cover, but the inside of the cover does not have the project red logo underneath the designed by Apple logo.

Did apple produce just straight up red leather smart covers? or is my smart cover a dreaded knockoff???

2. rsxmachine macrumors 6502a

You have a knock off, these things are not stiff, I have a real cover and a knock off one, the knock off ones are garbage compared to the real thing. The easiest way to know is if you look at the made by apple text on the inside, if it is printed on and clear it is fake, the real apple smart covers have that text embossed and it is not clear as its covered a bit by the microfiber.

3. MacSketcher thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmmm...thanks for the reply.

Looking at the logo, if seems like it has been embossed, and it is a little bit fuzzy as well. However, that still doesn't explain the horrible stiffness/crappy magnet.

Curse you Internet!!!!

4. rsxmachine macrumors 6502a

can you take some pics and post them here, we will be able to tell you if its real.

5. MacSketcher thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah no problem!

hope this helps

Attached Files:

6. rsxmachine macrumors 6502a

it looks real to me, or its an amazing knock off.

7. MacSketcher thread starter macrumors newbie

alright, well...maybe i've just got some bad luck then...because that thing is still pretty damn stiff. been trying to break it in since i got it and it's still a bit hard to fold nearest the hinge

8. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

9. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

When it is on the iPad are you loading it with the felt side out?

10. barachus macrumors regular

11. xraytech macrumors 68030

Out of the box all the covers are stiff to begin with. They become less stiff with use.

As for the unfolding when using as a stand, you maybe folding it wrong.

Are you folding it in a way where the leather is facing out or in?

12. davereynolds macrumors member

Mine was never stiff and behaves exactly the same as when I bought it a year ago.

13. fredsarran macrumors 6502

fredsarran

Yep, same experience with me.

14. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

My black leather one was kind of stiff at first and now is soft.

15. pocky macrumors regular

Could be a fake. I have 3 real ones and a fake one laying around.

The font is too skinny compared to the one that Apple uses. However the older red smart covers did not feature a Product RED logo, only the new ones when they revised the smart cover line up.

So the only thing I would be weary of is the font. The genuine uses bigger font and is more spaced apart. The fake one I have even had the serial number on the magnet.

16. MacSketcher thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes? that's how they fold right? if not then there is no magnet on the other side that holds it together.

was it cheaper?
    no? kinda?
    well it was "on sale" for $20 less than normal...which was why i snapped it up. but with my recent issues, i've been less thrilled about the money saved.

i'll try fiddling with it some more...maybe i just need to break it in more?

----------

hmmmm...so i guess the question is...should i buy a replacement (no hope of a return since i bought it online quite a while ago)???

17. pocky, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012

pocky macrumors regular

Personally, I'd keep it. It looks really good from the photos.

Let me wear in a bit. I noticed the leather ones are slightly stiffer than the Poly.

I just picked up a red smart cover recently. I don't even bother to fold it since it's pretty stiff. I just remove it and use a poly if I want to stand it up.

Let me take a photo of the wording on my red one.

EDIT attached a photo

[​IMG]

18. MacSketcher thread starter macrumors newbie

hahaha so something funny happened to me tonight. the magnet strip on the cover...it totally fell off.

hahaha guess that solves the question of whether or not the cover was a fake >.<;;;

19. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Notice you have some nice scuffs on one of the hinges in the first few pics too where it has been rubbing the iPad :/

20. MacSketcher thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, it came like that. I'm way too nitpicky to let it do that on its own =p

21. ZipZap macrumors 601

22. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Ah thats strange because the marks on the hinges are consistent with where you find rubbing marks when they come into contact with an iPad's casing.

This suggests that your smart cover has been used prior to you purchasing it as well :confused:

23. MacSketcher thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm actually currently living in South Korea...probably one of the most unfriendly places to be if you're an apple supporter. Also, one of the only (self-proclaimed) "technologically advanced" countries to not have any apple stores whatsoever. so when i bought my smart cover i ended up getting it from an online vendor, gmarket.kr i've had no troubles with them in the past but this time...they totally failed me.

In other news...that smart cover is almost definitely a fake. other than the magnet strip falling off, and it being super stiff i was reassured that it was when i bought another cover (this time at an authorized reseller). The new cover is another red one but this one has the Project Red logo on it, and it is also way less stiff...and thinner too...which surprised me.

moral of the story?
    chinese knock offs suck.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I thought Project Red products were sold only directly from Apple. Here in the U.S., not even authorized retaillers have them -- you can only get them at Apple Stores, or by ordering from the online Apple store.

25. MacSketcher thread starter macrumors newbie

so did i...but i don't question how things work in korea anymore....it's a crazy 'effing techno-homogeny here thanks to the Smart Iron Fist of SamSung.

...And then you have the crazy korean hipsters with their tight pants, lensless glasses, and parent-purchased ipads. Korea is a crazy crazy place =p