Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
One of my clients offered to purchase a new iPad for me, I could have gotten a Pro but honestly I lose things like stylus pencils so the thought of paying $100 for one did not appeal to me.

My 64GB Air 2 replaced a 32GB Air and I am very pleased with the performance difference, the screen is beautiful & the extra ram gets rid of safari tab reloading which had become annoying.

Get the Pro if you will use the pencil a lot but if not the Air 2 is still a fine tablet!

Tab reloading was solved via iOS, in 9.3, not by more RAM. My Air 1 doesn't tab reload anymore.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Another reason to consider the Air 2 (right now) is that Apple looks to be ignoring the iPad from the looks of iOS 10. When Apple puts more effort into the iPad and it has features you need/want then you can decide if buying a next gen iPad is worth it for you. Right now it looks like we will have to wait until iOS 11 for some features that make the iPad an enticing product IF they do something with it.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
Another reason to consider the Air 2 (right now) is that Apple looks to be ignoring the iPad from the looks of iOS 10. When Apple puts more effort into the iPad and it has features you need/want then you can decide if buying a next gen iPad is worth it for you. Right now it looks like we will have to wait until iOS 11 for some features that make the iPad an enticing product IF they do something with it.

Heh... funny.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I don't know this from personal experience, but I've heard the speakers on the 9.7 pro are better than those on the Air 2. Not that the speakers on the Air 2 are bad, but if speakers are important to you, it might be something to consider.

L T

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
UK
So my air 2 arrived today, thanks for the input everyone, just a quick thing, when the iPad is outputting audio from its own speakers, there is quite excessive vibration through the iPad itself

Is this normal?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Or the original iPad. Performance already sucked on iOS 4, the first major update it got. By iOS 5, I couldn't even deal with that anymore.
I steered clear of the original. At only 256MB RAM, I already knew longevity would be out the window for me. The iPod Touch 4th gen with 256MB RAM and 960*640 resolution was just barely good enough (I experienced occasional out of memory app crashes) and even the iPhone 4 had 512MB RAM.

Also, I wanted to wait until there were more iPad-optimized apps. Heck, even a year after the original's release (when I got the iPad 2), a lot of the apps I used still only had iPhone versions.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I steered clear of the original. At only 256MB RAM, I already knew longevity would be out the window for me. The iPod Touch 4th gen with 256MB RAM and 960*640 resolution was just barely good enough (I experienced occasional out of memory app crashes) and even the iPhone 4 had 512MB RAM.

Also, I wanted to wait until there were more iPad-optimized apps. Heck, even a year after the original's release (when I got the iPad 2), a lot of the apps I used still only had iPhone versions.
I wasn't going to get the original iPad at all. I just happened to go to Best Buy on launch day and I played with one. I just couldn't leave without buying one. And I don't regret it at all. It was awesome while I had it and it got me hooked on tablets in the first place.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I wasn't going to get the original iPad at all. I just happened to go to Best Buy on launch day and I played with one. I just couldn't leave without buying one. And I don't regret it at all. It was awesome while I had it and it got me hooked on tablets in the first place.
I already knew I wanted a tablet (primarily for comic/manga reading) years before the iPad was even announced. Alas, I knew the original iPad wouldn't fit the bill. In all honesty, I probably should have just waited until the iPad 3 was released because even the iPad 2, I ended up not using much because of too much pixelation. That said, resale value on iPads during the early years was really good compared to now.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
So are you still hooked on tablets?? Do you still like tablets?? And do you have a tablet?? Just wondering.... :):)
Yep, yep, and yep. Two actually. Well, technically three but I don't use my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 anymore.

I have an iPad Air 2 and an iPad mini 4. I use my iPad Air 2 at home and take the iPad mini 4 with me when I go out sometimes. Rarely ever use my MacBook Pro.

roneylirio

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2016
Yep, yep, and yep. Two actually. Well, technically three but I don't use my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 anymore.

I have an iPad Air 2 and an iPad mini 4. I use my iPad Air 2 at home and take the iPad mini 4 with me when I go out sometimes. Rarely ever use my MacBook Pro.
I use my ipad Pro 9.7 just lying in bed or when I travel and take it.

but home use almost my PC for heavy games, movies.

Ipad is just when I'm too lazy to sit.

I overpaid in the Ipad for this, but it was not to change for years

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm guessing you haven't used the iPad 3, then. Even on iOS 6, it was noticeably not snappy. :p

Or the original iPad. Performance already sucked on iOS 4, the first major update it got. By iOS 5, I couldn't even deal with that anymore.

I personally haven't used iPad 3 on iOS 6 or the original iPad on iOS 4 and 5, since I tend to upgrade my iPad every year. However, my friends and relatives who inherited my old iPads have been using them on later OS without any complaints, and when I occasionally pick one up to do something, I haven't noticed any lags. I think these lags are probably in the "not optimal" territory, not "so slow it's unusable."

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I personally haven't used iPad 3 on iOS 6 or the original iPad on iOS 4 and 5, since I tend to upgrade my iPad every year. However, my friends and relatives who inherited my old iPads have been using them on later OS without any complaints, and when I occasionally pick one up to do something, I haven't noticed any lags. I think these lags are probably in the "not optimal" territory, not "so slow it's unusable."
They're fine for single tasks. The lag comes when you start multitasking, which I do a lot of.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The difference between "not optimal" and "so slow it's unusable" is a matter of personal preference. What's acceptable performance to some, others less patient may consider snail-pace (I fully admit I'm quite likely in the latter category).

My mom has my old iPad 3 and she has no complaints. My brother has one, too, which he barely uses because to him, it's too slow. I know plenty of folks who are quite content with Atom-based netbooks. Meanwhile, those are, to me, in the category of "so slow it's unusable". Heck, I find desktops (sporting mid to high end CPUs) without SSDs frustrating to use. A luxury once sampled becomes a necessity and all that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Channan

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
The difference between "not optimal" and "so slow it's unusable" is a matter of personal preference. What's acceptable performance to some, others less patient may consider snail-pace (I fully admit I'm quite likely in the latter category).

My mom has my old iPad 3 and she has no complaints. My brother has one, too, which he barely uses because to him, it's too slow. I know plenty of folks who are quite content with Atom-based netbooks. Meanwhile, those are, to me, in the category of "so slow it's unusable". Heck, I find desktops (sporting mid to high end CPUs) without SSDs frustrating to use. A luxury once sampled becomes a necessity and all that.

Got mine for $150 on Craigslist. Seller claimed it was in perfect condition... Certainly not true, but he had a tempered glass screen protector, so the screen sure is!

I genuinely think 9.7" is the perfect size. I have had 4 Pros in the past few weeks. 9.7" Pro (returned after 2 weeks for 12.9", it didn't feel significantly better than an Air, to me, and the camera bump bothered me when writing with Pencil) - 12.9" Pro (great for drawing and notes, but just a little unwelildy and not great for book reading, IMO) - iPad Mini 2 (got it in the sale of the Pro, great little device and I am deciding whether to keep or sell) - iPad Air 2 w/ LTE ... To me, this is the perfect device for my usage, and I genuinely enjoy it every time I pick it up. It won't replace my laptop, and I don't want it to.

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
Don't do it, the next gen 9.7 pro will be coming soon, and iOS is becoming more and more demanding for iPad, you won't be future proofing your iPad buy going with an Air 2 now.

The iPad Pro 9.7 Came out one March 31st of this year so you will have to wait a minimum of eight more months before you see a 2nd Gen of the 9.7 pro the iPad Pro 12.9 came out November 11 of last year that maybe something you may see late this year

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.