Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by derekkwong, Dec 10, 2012.
as it roll out for a while, is it still a good time to get it today?
I suggest you waiting the haswell generation macbook pro, much more powerful and has decent graphics performance. I dunno, if you really need a laptop now, get one but if you are willing to wait for the bang for the buck, i say wait on Q2-Q3 2013
You must be referring to the 13 inch model then if you are saying "decent graphics performance", because as far as the 15inch model goes, i think it is pretty sagfe to assume it has a decent graphics performance by having a 650m overclocked in it.
NO its a bad time, the performance on 15 is so so bad, UI lag and choppiness on every application, cant use the computer for anything, apple has the worlds worst programmers for OSx, this is on a non hardware defective mbpr, its like paying for a ferrari and get 80s volvo
I believe you are a tad overdramatic...
you are acting as if someone is going to try and open a program and the computer is going to beachball... your post is kinda blown out of proportions.
There is some UI lag for certain applications (not all of them) and it is clearly a software issue. It is obvious that Notes aint such a taxing program to cause UI lag when you try to manually change the size of the window, when the computer flies with far more taxing applications like iphoto, imovie, preview etc when there is no UI lag.
I have poor fps and lag in every application, examples are, contacts, mail, messages, reminders, mail, spotify, sibelius, logic pro, iphoto, google chrome chops ALOT, and app store lags, itunes lags, safari is the only thing working on a couple of pages, But if i install adobe flash safari also start to lag, tried adobe 30 day trial, all those apps also have bad performance
Add to this the 100s of bugs ppl are experiencing, see forum threads of them all the time, got one where the background picture allways went back to one i didnt want on startup, had to change 10 times and restart ungil it booted with the one i choose
Then my friend there is something really wrong with your machine and you should call apple for a replacement. This is clearly not how the rmbp performs. The UI lag that I am experiencing is minimal and in certain applications only, like I said Notes which obviously should not be taxing the system at all. It is a software thing that will be addressed soon probably.
Well, my experience begs to differ... this is by far the best computer I have had the pleasure to have worked with.
Found out how to do a apple hardware test now, it actually was the hardware thats broken,
This is actually a good thing because it got my hope back again, need to get a replacement
Don't wait for Haswell. Not worth the wait, slightly faster, slightly less heat, and smaller die set. Maybe better Intel GPU. Minor improvement.
Glad you got it sorted out, it sure sounded like there was something really wrong with your rmbp. I hope apple responds with a replacement as soon as possible.
If you guys didn't realize, his name is 'jaekae', so you should really take everything he says seriously. (jk, say it outloud)
I don't know what to do...
It's taken me a while to get used to the idea of how much a MacBook Pro is going to cost me, and another while to work out which model I want. During this time, Windows has annoyed me enough to continue with the switch.
Finally, The decision has been made. I'm all excited, and want my new rMPB now!
Then I read this: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro
Being new to the world of Apple, I don't know whether to wait, or just buy it now.
Can any old hands offer me some advice, please? As I said it's a 'want', not a need. I don't 'need' one at all. I could wait a couple of months, but I'll be climbing the walls because I want my new toy. Similarly if I buy one now, and in a couple of months they make a reasonable change to performance or cost, I'll be a little miffed.
 I've decided on a 15" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.6 GHz processor, 16 Gb RAM, 512 Gb flash drive and a USB SuperDrive.
That's exactly the one I have on order. Took advantage of the current 0% financing, so to me was the perfect time to buy.
i believe the "approaching the end of a cycle" refers mainly to the Macbook Pro model not the retina. If nothing, the Retina is the BEGINING of a new era/cycle, the era of Macbook Pro's without optical drives, with SSDs, retina displays, thinner size etc etc.
So dont be afraid, the Retina is actually a window into the future. that comment was more about the cmbp.
Now the "buy only if you need" part, sure I agree with it. Buy it if you need it and if you can afford it realtively easy. If the cost of a retina means 5 monthly wages for you, then ofc do not buy it, it is super expensive for you and you can buy something cheaper to do what you want. But if you are ok with the pricetag then by all means go for it.
One step closer.
I can get a discount of £200 by buying it through an offer we have at work.
Is there any other way of improving on this discount?
I'm still nervous about the "Buy only if you need it" comment, though.
Why are you worried? Do you need a macbook pro retina to just browse the net and watch some video? If so then buy only if you dont find the price very steep according to your pocket. But if you are going to put some serious work on this machine, then I wouldnt worry about whether I need it or not!
Everything that is very expensive is worthy of the tag "buy only if you need"!
That's not how the buyer's guide works. It doesn't talk about new eras or old eras, all it does is check past update timings, make an average and calculate when the next update, according to those averages, will be. After that, it recommends to buy or not depending if the numbers show that.
It has nothing to do with what the technology is moving to or wether a computer is creating a new computing era or not, it talks about models and that's that.
As to the OP, Haswell brings more than anything, better GPU performance and energy use, so if you're looking for a 15", that won't be bumped by much since it has it's own GPU. If you were thinking a 13" or Air, then yeah, I'd wait. I'm waiting fort he new Air myself.
A computer is a tertiary lifestyle investment. I consider primary investments to be where you live, buying a house and what career you choose. Nothing is more important to you or your family than how you choose to make a living and where you choose to call home.
Secondary investments, I consider to be how you transport yourself and the way you choose to live throughout your day. For example, using environmentally friendly electronic, a water purifier and whether you own a car or a bicycle and how much you spend on them respectively.
Tertiary investments are things that support your lifestyle. They can be used to assist in work, school or how you accomplish whatever tasks you consider important for both your primary and secondary lifestyle investments. How you write up reports for work, how you handle digital media for home entertainment and how you browse and purchase parts for your road bike.
A computer is not important to the point where you should give up your primary or secondary priorities but it is definitely important enough to justify saving up and getting the right one. This is especially true when you hit the $1500+ USD market. What most people fail to realize is that when they spend $400 on a laptop, they inevitably will probably end up spending that much over the course of 2-3 years making up for the lack of investment by either buying another $400 laptop every year or the money they lose simply in time by using an inefficient device for their needs.
If you're confident that purchasing this laptop will complement your lifestyles, and that you will only be hit financially for a few months until you bounce back from it, and that you actually could benefit from a new computer right now then I would say it's a great purchase idea. We won't see another 15" MacBook Retina until probably June 2013.
However, if you already have a decent MacBook (2010 or newer) and it suits your computing needs, I think you should put the money in the bank and wait it out. While the performance of the 2013 rMBP 15 won't be 40% better, it will definitely be higher enough to justify the wait, IF you had a good computer to begin with.
This is completely incorrect.
Haswell DOUBLES the performance of the onboard intel 4000 graphics.
Unless you are gaming or running anything gpu intensive most casual computer use will use the onboard graphics rather than the nVidia chip. Doubling that performance isn't minor.
I was going to get the rMBP but decided to wait until Haswell is released. And since it's 2x better when it comes to GPU, it's worth the wait.
Also, the price is probably going to be the same when Apple updates the rMBP, so it's better to wait and pay the same amount for a much better machine, specially if you don't need a new one and you can survive some few months with the one you've got now.
Its best to wait at this point since its the first gen retina MacBook Pro plus its closing into the product cycle. Its been 6 months so better wait another 6 months and get the next gen upgrade.
I think it's pointless worrying about this stuff, especially now that Apple seems to have stepped up their release cycle... it's an expensive machine and even if you buy it close to release, is it really worth the cost for something you'll want to replace in less than a year?
The good thing about Apple is, if you can find a buyer, the resale value of their products.. so if you absolutely MUST have the latest release, you wont be too out of pocket.
You could wait for the next rMBP but before long the next one will be on it's way.
The major problem is everyone thinks they must have the latest Apple products and as soon as a new release is mentioned they think they have an old POS... so what if a new machine comes out? your rMBP will still work, and will still be amazing.. enjoy it, there's no need to rush out for the latest and greatest. Don't let the lag thing put you off because it barely exists.
If you need now it get it now. It's that simple. Playing the waiting game and trying to future proof tech is just silly.
I don't any of these issues. Maybe someone needs to replace the laptop.
I would if I had all thoses types of issues.
or...you could hit by a bus tomorrow and loose all use of your arms and legs.
If you are in the market for a new laptop, then buy...if not do something else. I wouldn't put this much thought into this kind of purchase.
Not like you are buying a house or something.