Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Didn't upgrade to iOS 7? What device?

• All my apple devices run iOS 7

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • iPad 3 on iOS 6

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • iPad 2 on iOS 6 or previous

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Original iPad on iOS 6 or previous

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • iPhone 5 on iOS 6

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • iPhone 4S on iOS 6 or previous

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • iPhone 4 on iOS 6 or previous

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Earlier iPhone on previous

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • What a horrible poll (other)

Votes: 9 11.1%

• Total voters

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
I disagree. iOS 7, 8 and Yosemite are very Apple.

but you know what, you can keep your opinion and your old software and enjoy. Enjoy the lack of bug fixes, of new features etc.

iOS 6 still has less bugs than iOS 7.

Just saying..

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I'm not worried about bugs so much. More that the hardware can handle the iOS without stutter or slowdown.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
Almost all apps now require ios 7 and all the new apps are now ios 7 only. Just update, with ios 8, there will be no apps to support ios 5 or 6, plus there are quite a few security bugs on ios 6 or 5.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
There were just too many features and improvements in iOS 7 to not upgrade. Even though 7.1 greatly improved the snappiness of iOS 7, I will say iOS 6 and lower still feel faster in terms of how the animations move.

Sort of.... iOS 6 animation were linear and sudden whereas iOS 7/8 animations are fluid. iOS 6 animation were a hair faster than iOS 7 but personally I'd take fluidity over a fraction of a second. Just makes for a better UX imo. On iPad though iOS 7 animations are much quicker.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
If you don't mind me asking, what iOS7 specific bugs are you encountering?

I can't speak for him/her, but I still encounter stock app crashes on my iPhone and iPad Air. Even the Phone.app crashes...

But I can live with that, really, I can. I can forgive everything about iOS 7 except for the loss of speed when navigating the OS. The delays between everything are still problematic, even though 7.1 (which took half a year) helped quite a bit. I can live with longer loading times, but I can't forgive the screen for displaying something (such as the keyboard), appear settled, and not respond for another beat.

I don't think it's really fear but they just don't like it.

But my question to those people is what happens when your device kicks the bucket, can no longer run like you want, or your apps require iOS 7 or newer? This is the new design choice Apple has made and they are sticking to it, so it's probably adopt or move to a different platform.

Someday it will happen, but I imagine they might try updating to the latest and see if it's okay by then, and consider shopping around the other platforms if they don't like it or need a new physical device. It stands to reason that if the Apple product isn't to their liking anymore, it would be time to try another.

nyjoe610

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2014
When i look back at iOS6, it just looks strange and depressing, can't wait for iOS8 though!

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
I can't speak for him/her, but I still encounter stock app crashes on my iPhone and iPad Air. Even the Phone.app crashes...

But I can live with that, really, I can. I can forgive everything about iOS 7 except for the loss of speed when navigating the OS. The delays between everything are still problematic, even though 7.1 (which took half a year) helped quite a bit. I can live with longer loading times, but I can't forgive the screen for displaying something (such as the keyboard), appear settled, and not respond for another beat.

I find this baffling; it's so far removed from my experience on my own iPhone 5 and to be honest it always has been, even on 7.0. I've been through every version of the OS since 2.0 and never found the speed an issue in IOS 7, particularly since 7.1, although I don't see the odd millisecond of animation as an issue anyway - the underlying system speed was always good.

As for crashes, it's rock solid and has been since the first update or two, and that's the impression I get from other iPhone users in my friends and family too.

I strongly suspect that those still clinging on the idea that there is something "wrong" with IOS 7 actually have something wrong with their devices. These isolated hardware-related issues are by no means exclusive to ios 7 and have plagued a minority of handsets on every OS.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I find this baffling; it's so far removed from my experience on my own iPhone 5 and to be honest it always has been, even on 7.0. I've been through every version of the OS since 2.0 and never found the speed an issue in IOS 7, particularly since 7.1, although I don't see the odd millisecond of animation as an issue anyway - the underlying system speed was always good.

As for crashes, it's rock solid and has been since the first update or two, and that's the impression I get from other iPhone users in my friends and family too.

I strongly suspect that those still clinging on the idea that there is something "wrong" with IOS 7 actually have something wrong with their devices. These isolated hardware-related issues are by no means exclusive to ios 7 and have plagued a minority of handsets on every OS.

Maybe if it were just one device. In my and my partner's family, there are 8 iPhones and 4 iPads, including 4S, 5, 5S, iPad 1, 2, and two Airs. They all have the animation delays. This is something built in to the system and something people have tried to address using various jailbreaks.

I agree that the underlying speed of the OS has generally been good, and it still is with iOS 7. That is not the issue however.

The issue is that the animations, while much quicker than 7.0, disable the input of the touch screen entirely until the animation releases and control is active again. The biggest problem is that there is a delay where things look settled and ready to go, but theres another beat, if you will, before it starts responding. This can apply to the physical input buttons too (for instance, if you're exiting an app, then double tap to bring up the task switcher, it often will only catch one of those double taps... of if you lock and press the home button before the animation is done, it won't respond).

The reason it is so bothersome isn't simply because it's slow. The reason is you press a button or tap a virtual button when it looks ready and it ignores it, leaving you waiting to see if it will acknowledge it.

Worse yet is typing. I very often unlock the phone into an iMessage, the animation plays, it settles and the keyboard pops up... I start typing, and it doesn't start acknowledging input until I'm 1-6 letters in already; it makes a mess because autocorrect usually picks some other word based on what it received, you have to backspace and start over. If you see the keyboard, and it's settled in place, it should respond. There's simply no excuse for such a delay, especially considering how much better it used to be. I remember seeing a chart that showed how iPhone touchscreens are 10-20ms more responsive than the leading Android devices... yet a full second gap doesn't seem to matter.

I completely understand that this will only affect people who tend to use their phones very quickly, usually from muscle memory and habits learned on previous iOS versions. Plenty of people wouldn't be affected, although I personally know several who made the complaint without having been the one to bring it up.

If you'd like, I can try to take a video showing an iPhone 4S or 5 on iOS 6 compared with a 5S or iPad Air to show you the delays. The 5 on iOS 6 is by far the snappiest device we have.

PS Sorry this is long... I'm just trying to provide a detailed account for you.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I upgraded all of the devices to iOS 7 as soon as available. My wife almost killed me. She gave me grief for weeks for messing with her iPad. It was a 2 at the time. She finally got over it after she figured out where everything was in 7.
Lol
I'll upgrade all of them to 8 too, as soon as available. Her IPad Air will be well suited for that ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.