still can only play audio through headphones, help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by leejt1986, Feb 4, 2011.

1. leejt1986 macrumors newbie

OK, so before anyone asks I've read a dozen or so threads on this very topic and I still havent had any luck. I tried sticking the pin in, i tried pulling the head phones in and out, I tried restarting with the headphones in, nothing. The only thing the pin does is turn the red light off. But once the red light is off I still cant get the audio to work.

Is there any thing i can do or am I stuck only listening to audio through headphones?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If I understand correctly, you can hear sound through the headphones, but not with them unplugged. This may sound ridiculously simple, but have you turned the volume up with the headphones unplugged? Some aren't aware that there are separate volume adjustments for plugged/unplugged.

3. leejt1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I try to control it from the keyboard the volume icon pops up but its grey instead of white.

Where is the separate volume control?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's the same volume control. Plug in headphones or external speakers and adjust the volume. Now unplug and adjust the volume for the internal speakers.

5. leejt1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I unplug my headphones at volume control this is what happens.

[​IMG]

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know if it will help, but you might try running the Apple Hardware Test.

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

7. leejt1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can shut the red optical light off but the sound still doesnt come in. Should I call Apple at this point or is there anything else i can try? The sound still plays fine with headphones

8. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

This is a known problem.

Basically, there is a tiny switch inside your port that gets stuck, making the computer think that you have a TOSLINK optical audio plug in there. Homebrew solutions include plugging and unplugging headphones/TOSLINK plug in and out several times or using a matchstick to delicately poke around in there to fix it.

If it's still under warranty, though, you might as well send it off to have the logic board replaced.