Still can't decide

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Casey01, May 15, 2011.

1. Casey01 macrumors member

I'm still not sure if I wanna get a first gen. iPad or the iPad 2. From what it seems to be the only big difference is camera and better graphics.

I would really only use the iPad for school and productivity. So stuff like Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iTunes U. And of course I would use it for music and movies.

But the $150 price difference is kind of my make it or break it. Is it 100% worth the extra cash?

What do you guys think?

2. aicul macrumors 6502a

as you quote pirces....

buying something old for less is worth it when less is truly less

so either you wait and get ipad 1 for much much less

or buy ipad2 and be with latest model

3. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

If you feel at all uncomfortable about the extra $150, then buy the 1st gen. As an owner of the original since the 3rd week it came out, I can comfortably say I have only had 1 or 2 times since buying it that I've really wanted a camera on it. I've used other peoples iPad 2, and while it certainly is a nice form factor, it's not like mine is a 10lb brick.

The only argument I'd have in favor of iPad2 is resale value, and faster processor. If either of those things are high on your list, then perhaps you need to pony up the extra cash.

4. kaibex macrumors 6502

kaibex

Sounds like you know you don't need an iPad 2 but if your questioning yourself then go for it if you can afford the extra cash. I am getting myself a 2 even though I know I don't need to have iPad 2, but then again how many people NEED an iPad at all? Bottom line if you want it and can get it, then go for it!

5. Janet1 macrumors member

I bought a 1st gen. iPad when they first came out and after using it for a year, gave it to my mom when I bought my iPad 2.

I was perfectly happy with my iPad 1, but my mom didn't have any home internet access, and by giving her my iPad 1 with 3G, also gives her limited internet access for only $15/month.

The camera in the iPad 2 is crap, about the same, if not the same, as the camera in the iPod Touch. The iPhone has a much better camera, and so does my cell phone. I won't be using my iPad 2 to take pics, and have zero interest in facetime.

Is the iPad 2's duo core processor faster? I haven't noticed any true increase in speed, so I really couldn't confirm that.

Smart covers don't fit the ipad 1, but I personally don't care for them because I don't feel they offer any protective cushioning against screen breakage in the event of droppage.

Unless you really have a strong preference for white, those are the only real differences. Everything else is pretty much exactly the same.

So to me personally, I don't see any significant advantage to buying the iPad 2 over the iPad 1 and if you shop around a little, you may be able to save even more than $150.

I saved $350 on my iPad 2 off the retail price by buying it off craigslist, and it was new in the box, but I don't really advise going that route because the overwhelming majority of the iPads 2 listed on craigslist are scams.

But buying an iPad 1 on craigslist is considerably safer because many people genuinely are looking to sell their year old first gen., so they can upgrade to the iPad 2. You should still exercise caution though.

The one potential issue with buying used however is questions about the battery life. Installing a new battery requires opening up the iPad completely, and that's no easy task, and might cost even more than the savings of buying used. IPads also haven't been out long enough to determine the average battery life, so you may wish to consider that as well.

6. bidwalj macrumors 65816

Wait until iOS 5 is announced. Then you will be able to know / decide if the iPad 2 has anything software related over the iPad 1.

7. felch macrumors member

Just get the iPad 2. The iPad 1 is ugly in comparison and games are smoother on the iPad 2

8. DeChrii macrumors member

[​IMG]

ipad 1 is ugly? huuuuuuuuuuuh? looks ALMOST identical to me.

Anyways I would definitely go for the ipad 1 than the ipad 2. If you find the right(good condition) ipad on craigslist used, you can easily get a 32g for 300. Now thats 200 dollars cheaper then the 16g ipad 2. Ipad 2 has a faster processer, but the speed feels almost identical. Graphics are better and games do feel smoother, but 200 dollars cheaper for twice the memory seems like a better deal to me. Also you said your most likely going to do work with pages, notes etc. so the gpu wouldn't matter to much anyways.'

I didn't note a used ipad 2 on craigslist as that is probably going to be more than a brand new one at the store. And i didnt mention the 16g ipad 1 as I did a quick craigslist search and most were 32g at 300-350, but i'm sure its even cheaper.

9. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is the iPad 1 really that much heavier where it's noticeable?

Also the feel is it that much uncomfortable as the edges aren't round and it's a bit thicker etc?

10. EugenexYew macrumors regular

EugenexYew

iPad 1 definitely.

Personally, I thought I would use the cameras on the iPad 2 at first but nope, it's too pathetic. *not that I expect a super-duper-megapixel camera but just maybe a decent 2 megapixel one*

Also, it's really quite impossible to tell the difference of the speed and graphics between the 2 iPads unless you literally compare them side to side.
    Otherwise, an average user probably wouldn't notice it at all.

The weight is only a slight 0.2 pounds difference and I don't think thinness is much of a factor since you're not putting it in your pocket.

I would go for the original iPad since it's of more value now and judging by your current scenario, it's substantial enough.

The only downside *and ONLY* to this is probably that it is not future-proof. Probably by iOS 6, it's gonna get dropped from updates, so it has like say, 1 year of "software life"

11. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Buy a second hand iPad 1 from someone upgrading and save even more.

The difference between the two isnt worth the money, plenty of mint examples on Ebay of the first generation.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

I bought the iPad 2 on Saturday and sold my 1st gen iPad yesterday.

I owned the 1st gen since launch, and really didn't see the need to upgrade.

The most noticeable difference is the weight. The iPad 2 is significantly lighter than the iPad 1, and I find it even more enjoyable to use than the 2. It's not that I found the iPad 1 too heavy, it's just that the 2 is that much lighter.

I really had no intention to upgrade, but I'm glad that I did. I say go for the iPad 2.

/just sayin'

13. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I wouldn't trade my iPad 2 for my old iPad 1 even if you threw in $500.

14. mrholder macrumors regular

Check a Verizon store. I was able to get an iPad 1 32G wifi for $200 off the original price. It'd be worth a try. They might have one left.

15. Surely Guest

Surely

It's a good thing that the people who paid $400 for my out-of-warranty 1st gen iPad wifi 16GB didn't know about that.;)

16. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Well, I've had the iPad for a year and the iPad 2 for about a month. I like the iPad 2 more but it's a toss up as both are great. I like the lighter weight and re-designed back of the iPad 2 and the speed increase is noticeable but not something super dramatic. If you get a good deal on an iPad I'd say it's worth considering.

17. brettatk macrumors regular

Depends. Are you wanting to uprade to the iPad 3 regardless of which one you decide to buy? If not then I'd definitely go with the iPad 2. Chances are the differences in the iPad 2 and Ipad 3 won't be that great but it will be light years ahead of the outdated iPad 1 making an upgrade a must. You might end up saving some money by getting the iPad 2 right now.

18. madat42 macrumors regular

If all you do is play some games and browse the web, then the iPad 1 is great deal. I'm not saying the iPad 1 can't handle the newer processor-intensive games and productivity apps, it's just the iPad 2 can handle them better. For some, spending the extra $150 is worth it.

19. bidwalj macrumors 65816

I'll say it again, once iOS 5 comes out, there will be things the iPad 1 can't do. If you buying the iPad 1 short term it might be ok, but eventually it will get slow with newer os's.