Still can't find the right case!

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by h1w1nd, May 13, 2010.

1. h1w1nd macrumors member

Had the iPad since day 1 and have been searching for a case.

The Apple case collects too much dust and the material feels cheap for $40

I've been looking at the Tuff Luv cases and Griffin but hoping that since I waited this long there will be something better in the coming months.

Still waiting to see what Seidio will release soon.

2. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

3. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

Do you have a WiFi or 3G model iPad?

Are you looking for a slim case or one that adds some bulk? Do you want a folio style? One with integrated stand?

4. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I'm kinda in the same boat. I search everyday to see whats new but most of what i find is either, ugly, doesn't meet my needs, to expensive, or unavailable.

For now I got an sgp carbon film for the back. I'm waiting for the anti glare screen cover from speck. And i bought a felt sleeve from incipio

The only case that kind of interests me is the macally bookstand in black but that doesn't come out until june. And they have such terrible reviews i'm not sure if i want it.

Also the SGP slider and the Waterfield suede sleeve are interesting but thats about it. Haven't found the 'it' case yet.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

I'm currently using the Griffin Grip Vue, and it's a really good case. I've ordered an Incipio DermaSHOT from Amazon and it should arrive by the weekend. Once I have that, I'm going to keep the case that I like the best. I'm hoping that the DermaSHOT will be the winner, as it only cost $20 versus the Belkin's $50 pricetag!

Here are detailed pics of the DermaSHOT. I ordered the black one.

Here is a case & accessory gallery.

Why would that matter? There is no size difference......:confused:

6. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

The thing I don't like about skins or shell cases for the iPad is that they offer little utility. All they do is protect the back from scratches and nothing more. Does not provide a way to prop it up for viewing videos/photos, no typing position, no protection for the front. These cases worked for the iPhone because you always hold it in your hand while watching video and typing. Also most carry their phone in their pocket so no need for much protection for the screen.

Of course if this is all you're looking for then a skin or shell case would be fine. However I think many people have not found the right case yet because they want the utility, protection with good build quality/materials. Not many of those around yet.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^^ I haven't had a need to prop it up for typing or viewing purposes, so the silicone shell case is the perfect case for me. If I'm watching something, I prefer to lie down and hold it or to put it on a pillow on my lap if I'm sitting. Same thing for typing, and I've found that I'm quite good at typing with my thumbs if I'm holding the iPad in my hands (and I definitely don't have large hands).

If I find the need to prop the iPad up for viewing purposes, I can just get one of these cheap stands that seem to work very well:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=889116
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=884566
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=890995

I also like how well the silicone grips- especially when I put it down on any of my glass tables..... that iPad isn't going anywhere- it almost sticks to the glass.

I don't like folio-style cases because the flap would annoy the crap out of me.

I have an incase netbook sleeve that I use when I take the iPad with me anywhere, which protects the screen nicely.

8. uraniumwilly macrumors 6502

I'm still waiting for the right one. I need the two pitched angles the apple case provides, but with better functionality.

9. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

Actually as we are finding out there is a slight difference in the way the iPad curves on the WiFi model vs the 3G (Where the antenna is).

An example of this is the SwitchEasy NUDE case. The SwitchEasy NUDE fits perfect on the WiFi but on the 3G it has a slight fit difference that causes squeaking of the case etc... SwitchEasy has acknowledged this as a size/shape difference on the iPad and is now creating a 3G version of their NUDE case. So the model is something to consider with some cases to ensure a proper fit.

10. Surely Guest

Surely

Ah, I see. So I guess that would be an important factor when choosing a hard plastic case.

11. jedolley macrumors 68000

I too am still looking for the "one" case. I think part of the problem was that it took me awhile to figure out how i'd be using the iPad.

I started off with multi-functional folios: Marware Eco-Vue, Apple Case, and Macally Bookstand. Of the three, I preferred the Apple case, but still felt unsatisfied.

I then realized that I wasn't really using the different angles the folio cases offered. I realized I wanted something that protected the iPad, made it more comfortable to hold, and did not add much bulk. I have since tried: Switcheasy Nude, Generic Ebay TPU case, and the Macally FlexFitPad. Of the three, i'm currently using the Ebay case as it's more comfortable to hold than the Switcheasy Nude. I've paired this with the portable Switcheasy Stand and a Waterfield Suede Jacket.

With that said, i'm probably still going to look at other skin/shell cases. I think the Incipio NGP Matte looks like it might be a contender, but it's not available yet. I would also like to try the Belkin Grip Vue, but it's hard to find a decent price online and I don't have an Apple store near me.

The search continues...

12. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

I've given up on finding the perfect case for the IPhone/Ipad. It just doesn't exist :).

13. azboricua macrumors 6502a

azboricua

Cant find my perfect case either, I dont know why. I'm using the Candy Shell right now, its ok. :eek:

14. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

My "perfect" case doesn't exist yet.... a screen cover with 2 hinges (no back cover) that can fold back on itself or partially folded back to act as a stand.

15. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

16. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

I'd go with the pine. It isn't the least bit feminine.

17. vb1979 macrumors newbie

me2

Still looking for the perfect case. See what I did with the iPhone was that I ended up buying 10 diffrent cheap cases and none are 100% there, for my iPad I want to buy one quality case and keep it as long as I have the iPad.

So far I narrow down my search to the followings:

SmartCase and Vaja case but I'm not ready to buy yet!

SmartCase:
    [​IMG]
    Vaja case:
    [​IMG]

18. Surely Guest

Surely

I received my Incipio DermaSHOT today.

It sucks.:(

It's very flimsy and soft silicone material. Once it's on the iPad, the edges are easily peeled away from the iPad. It actually felt a little slippery. It feels like there is air trapped between the case and the iPad. It's a dust magnet.

I'm very disappointed. I was really looking forward to this case, it looked like a winner.

I've already packaged it up to return it to Amazon.

I'm sticking with the Belkin Grip Vue. It's pricey, but it's a solid case.

19. MaeMae macrumors newbie

MaeMae

I won't get my iPad until June 1st but I already have 2 Cases from M-Edge and they are fantastic!!!! Light weight and durable..

I've used their cases on my Kindle and they have lasted me and I use my Kindle Daily...

I highly suggest the Executive and Trip!

Take a look:
    medgestore.com

20. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Vaja Leather Agenda seems to be the perfect case for me. Just my luck that the case is $200.

21. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I am really hoping that Incase will make a hardshell case like they make for MacBooks, especially ones with the satin finish. Love that case on my MacBook!

Currently I have a Speck Hardcandy case on Ipad, and I haven't taken it off. I got tired of constantly taking my IPad out of the official case, so the Speck has become the default case, along with a Power Support AG screen & $1.69 business card holder. So far the combination has worked just fine for me.

22. arcangel6 macrumors regular

arcangel6

I agree, think I will order one in a few weeks. I considered Piel Frama and Orbino but the Vaja Agenda folds over almost flat.

23. mccldwll macrumors 65816

I have a Gripon case which doesn't do much to protect or improve hand grip, but it improves grip on other surfaces such as lap or table.
    Also have a Marware Eco-Vue for another iPad which is a nice case and lot of bang for buck, though not perfect. Lots of forum reviews. SENA makes very nice cases though can't remember if (not yet available) iPad case had many position functions. I have a SENA on iPhone and has been a great case. Not cheap, but very reasonable for quality level. Might have gone with it if available. CROX should make a case for general in home shock resistance for kids and grandparents. Pelican also may make a hard shell, waterproof case eventually.

24. vb1979 macrumors newbie

Finally decided

I finally decived on gettin the Quattro-T5 case for my iPad. This is the same as the smartcase but without the battery. They told me I can always add the battery to this case later. When compared with most other cases, this one really stands out.

Here is the link again just in case:

Quattro-T5

25. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Very interesting, I like the idea of an extended battery on the back.