Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Over 24 hours later, my iPhone SE still fails with the error 'Software Update Failed. An error occurred downloading iOS 10 Public Beta 1'.

My iPad Air 2 updated no problem yesterday a couple of hours after the public beta launched.

I have tried about 20 times on the iPhone.

Anyone else? Anyone know what's going on?

M

Reactions: uppiznebdne

Epoch KW

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
I have an SE doing the same, tried complete restore, set up as new, removing and then restoring the profile (even turning it off and on again!)

So far will not download?

Lojzo

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2016
After 4 days of trying to install on my SE I finally stumbled on the Opera VPN solution and although it took 2 hours to download instead of 12 minutes, it worked perfectly.

Download Opera VPN from the app store, set it up to US, of course if you are in the US try elsewhere, and give it another go.

Other factors, I had my clock set to Cupertino (from another suggestion which on it's own failed to work), I reset the phone again after installing the VPN and I also downloaded the profile again after having the VPN running. I have no idea if any of these things were a factor, it might just be the VPN.

Reactions: grgsiocl

grgsiocl

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2015
Use opera vpn and that worked for me. Also don't sync your iPhone through iTunes while software downloading !

Decker39

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2016
UK
Use opera vpn and that worked for me. Also don't sync your iPhone through iTunes while software downloading !

^^ This, i had the same trouble on my SE, after reading on here about Opera VPN i installed it via the app store and set my location to US. Tried downloading again and VIOLA !! Downloaded and installed perfectly :D

iainmann

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
^^ This, i had the same trouble on my SE, after reading on here about Opera VPN i installed it via the app store and set my location to US. Tried downloading again and VIOLA !! Downloaded and installed perfectly :D

Using Opera VPN on my SE in the UK worked for me too. Was getting multiple Download Failed errors. Used Opera VPN to set my location as US and download worked.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Had to use Opera VPN to get my wife's 6s to install the beta without an error. My 6+ didn't have any trouble.

Epoch KW

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
Still not working on my SE?

Not wanting to try the opera VPN suggestion yet as IMHO that defeats the object of beta testing? Is it not Apple's responsibility to find the issue and fix it?

Decker39

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2016
UK
Still not working on my SE?

Not wanting to try the opera VPN suggestion yet as IMHO that defeats the object of beta testing? Is it not Apple's responsibility to find the issue and fix it?

TBH it was a painless process installing Opera vpn, this was the only fix that allowed me to download and install ios 10 beta on my SE, but totally agree that apple should fix this problem whatever that may be

Epoch KW

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
Worked straight away on a 5C

I've resisted trying to put it on my daily use (6S) knowing it'll likely work too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.