Still Confused About Archive & Install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thesdx, Oct 17, 2007.

1. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I'm still a little confused. Will it preserve iLife and iWork? Will I have to reinstall third-party apps like Reason, Photoshop, and VMware?

2. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

It's important to understand the difference between what is bundled with MacOS and what is third party. The Archive and Install process will copy over any third-party applications from your Applications folder into your new one. That said, many third-party applications like Photoshop and VMWare rely on libraries and/or system files that are NOT copied over and so you often need to reinstall those applications. iWork might well be one that you do NOT need to reinstall, although I haven't tried myself.

iLife and iTunes applications will be reinstalled if you choose accordingly during the OSX re-installation to include them. Basically any apps that came as part of the OSX bundle will be reinstalled if you choose so and not if you don't. Third-party apps are copied over automatically but sometimes do and sometimes don't work, depending on their dependencies.

The important thing to note is that all of your iLife and iTunes data will stay intact, either in your Previous System backup folder or else they will be automatically transferred over if you chose to preserve user accounts.

Here is another good site with details. See #5 under Procedure with regards to third-party applications:
    http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/archiveinstall.html