Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one should I choose?

• Total voters

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I just read a thread from 2017 "Do you think the screen on the iPad Pro is too yellowish?" where you posted about exchanging your Pro due to the issue.

The OP of that thread had the tinge issue and said he had discovered "Apple has lowered the white balance level to industry standard 6500K, instead of the 7000-8000K of previous generations. I think this is probably why it looks warmer and definitely not defects.". But your experience suggests they don't all have this warmer tinge, and as someone posted, 6500 should still be quite bluish white rather than warm white. Interestingly, some people found the warmer screen better for their eyes but I personally feel more strain so I'll definitely be returning.
Correct my first pro 10.5 the screen was bad. You could tell something wasn’t right and it looked like the picture you posted. I like a warm screen but not yellow. As I said the second one I bought was perfect and what you would expect it should be(until the white spot issues).

hr10

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
Just tested the new iPad Air at a store, the lack of 120hz is noticeable, scrolling and going to Home Screen. Not sure software can improve but the jitters is very noticeable. I would rather look for a slightly used iPad Pro if price is an issue.

Reactions: Tsepz

Kjs100

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2020
Just tested the new iPad Air at a store, the lack of 120hz is noticeable, scrolling and going to Home Screen. Not sure software can improve but the jitters is very noticeable. I would rather look for a slightly used iPad Pro if price is an issue.
Agreed. I scrolled using my Air 4 and then my original Air. I didnt see any difference in scrolling smoothness. Id hoped the A14 would improve scrolling at least to some extent, but for me it doesnt appear to make any difference.

Keniutek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Poland
When someone is used to a 120Hz screen, it's hard to go back.
some people can't tell the difference though. I envy them, honestly i do.

Kjs100

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2020
When someone is used to a 120Hz screen, it's hard to go back.
some people can't tell the difference though. I envy them, honestly i do.
Too true. I now really dislike 60hz. Some people might think that is precious if it doesn't bother them, but I hate the fuzzy screen look when scrolling.

hr10

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
The fuzzy screen very noticeable and almost like Apple does it on purpose. I thought I was playing with the lowest tier iPad and had to double check.

ayuchan

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2010
Singapore
Same thoughts! Once I got used to the 120hz on iPad Pro, there is a very noticeable ‘lag’ when using the 60hz on air 4.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
A lot of people got lost in the A14 hype when it comes the Air 4 I believe, once you get used to a large high refresh rate screen there is no going back, at least I can bare 60hz on my iPhone, but my tablets now HAVE TO be 120hz, I fully expect it from a device this large and powerful.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I switch between regular 6th gen iPad and iPad Pro and I have to admit the screen refresh rate is the thing I do not notice at all. With the transition I notice far more the dip in performance (in terms of CPU and RAM) than anything else. Here are the things I notice:

1. Lack of laminated screen - it affects the pencil usage
2. Less RAM - a lot more tabs and apps reloads, some apps crashing (Books, Notability, issues with export videos from Keynote etc)
3. Chip difference - you can feel it both when it comes to performance/execution as well as GPU. For example you can use LumaFusion for video export, but the experience of scrubbing the timeline and seeing real time what is going on is not always the best.
4. Audio differences - two speakers vs four.

Overall I personally would not say that the screen refresh rate is something that is vital for me. Most probably it contributes to a nicer experience on the pro, but it is not the first thing I notice when I switch between the devices. So I personally would not put it higher on my list for features I need and am looking for.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
It would be nice if they updated all their iPad models at the same time, like they do the iPhone.

It could be nice for customers, but as Apple’s device portfolio expands, they plan their upgrades strategically in almost all categories. For example, they added iPhone SE releases in the springs and iPads are also having two upgrade seasons - October (iPad and iPad Air) and March (Pro). This year we also have a staggered iPhone release, with 12 and 12 Pro coming out first, followed up by 12 mini and Max several weeks later.

ayuchan

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2010
Singapore
I switch between regular 6th gen iPad and iPad Pro and I have to admit the screen refresh rate is the thing I do not notice at all. With the transition I notice far more the dip in performance (in terms of CPU and RAM) than anything else. Here are the things I notice:

2. Less RAM - a lot more tabs and apps reloads, some apps crashing (Books, Notability, issues with export videos from Keynote etc)
3. Chip difference - you can feel it both when it comes to performance/execution as well as GPU. For example you can use LumaFusion for video export, but the experience of scrubbing the timeline and seeing real time what is going on is not always the best.

Overall I personally would not say that the screen refresh rate is something that is vital for me. Most probably it contributes to a nicer experience on the pro, but it is not the first thing I notice when I switch between the devices. So I personally would not put it higher on my list for features I need and am looking for.

My man you need to get your eyes check if you can’t tell a 60hz and 120hz difference.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
My man you need to get your eyes check if you can’t tell a 60hz and 120hz difference.

Funnily enough I do wear prescription glasses so hey it might be that but I doubt it. It might be an improvement but it is not WOW for sure and I would not pay more money only for that. I should mention that I do not play games though. I am not fan of games in general no matter the device. So this might be another reason why I don't see it as that big of a deal.

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

That’s my experience too: 120Hz is not noticeable to me in the reading. It is noticeable with the pencil lag and latency (but I’ve been drawing with little issue on the base iPads and tested the 11” iPP), so not a deal breaker.

If I went back to the iPP, it would be the 12.9” model (Which Apple would be delighted about.)

With the Air, I‘ve noticed a much improved sound from the new stereo speaker layout. Love this Touch ID and pencil 2 compatibility too.

Sure, the 11” iPP is the better buy, but all I miss is the extra RAM. I did not use FaceID or the camera when I had the 11” iPP earlier this year.

If the Mini gets the Air specs, I’d own a Mini and a 12.9” iPP.

Last edited:
Reactions: secretk

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
NJ
From all the reading I’ve been doing here, it sounds like if I was staying in the 11” range the Air 4 might be the smarter buy. However, at 12.9 there is no other option. I’d really like the bigger screen. All this talk about future proofing and what not - I’m pretty sure my battery will be shot to hell before the processor holds me back. iPads are disposable appliances, as are most things technology. If I get 3-4 years out of a 12.9 IPP I’d be thrilled.

Reactions: blurryvision

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
From all the reading I’ve been doing here, it sounds like if I was staying in the 11” range the Air 4 might be the smarter buy. However, at 12.9 there is no other option. I’d really like the bigger screen. All this talk about future proofing and what not - I’m pretty sure my battery will be shot to hell before the processor holds me back. iPads are disposable appliances, as are most things technology. If I get 3-4 years out of a 12.9 IPP I’d be thrilled.
Apple is one of the very few companies (are there any others?) that will change your tablet battery (or rather swap you ipad) for around $100, that's not bad, especially for expensive devices...

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I should get my eyes checked as well then. :)

I can notice the difference for sure, but I personally don’t care enough and it doesn’t make 60hz a bad experience at all. This is totally subjective for everyone
That's not the first time someone says this... What can you do, people think that those that are not like them are not normal.... I have 2 120hz devices and, as I said, while it's a nice bonus, it does not change my experience dramatically and I move between 60 and 120 without even thinking... Speakers do change my experience dramatically. Oled is a nice bonus too, but like 120hz, once I am in a non oled device I forget it, and I focus on contents, not on looks.

Sinochick

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I had pre-purchased the Air 4 to pickup at the Apple store over the weekend and at the very last minute I returned the Air and purchased the IPP 11. It was a $200 price difference but I was able to apply my work’s corporate discount to get $45 off the price of the IPP so I just decided to go for it. I wanted the 4 speakers and the Face ID along with the 120hz. I‘m planning on keeping this iPad for 3-4 years so decided to just pay the extra $155. I have not regretted choosing the Pro, even though I probably don’t need such a fancy IPad as I don’t draw or edit photos or do anything that requires the use of the Pro.

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
The escalation in price points as you step up to the nirvana device, has me giving the big dreamy eyes to the entry iPad at this point.

A12 processor, for the price you know, it's not the end of the world if you drop it bad, but once you start to dress the iPad pro's (or new Air) prime with all the bits, it's MacBook pro pricing or in other words, outside the US it's killer.

I never think of the mini, but then you see the price, they should really send some innovative love to the mini once more, give it the air treatment for that price, iPad mini Air.

Last edited:

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
For fun here are the (approx.) EURO starting prices compared to US price for the iPad range.

iPad - €392.50
xe.com conv. $462.93
Apple.com $329
Cost approx. +$133.93 more (EU)

iPad Air - €667.95
xe.com conv. $787.81
Apple.com $599
Cost approx. +$188 more (EU)

iPad Pro 11' - €894.20
xe.com conv. $1054.63
Apple.com $799
Cost approx. +$255 more (EU)

iPad Pro 12.9" - €1110.60
xe.com conv. $1309.85
Apple.com $999
Cost approx. +310 more (EU)

Simple example if iPad pro 12.9 was €999 it would still convert to $1178.22, but in reality it's more like $1309.85!!!!!

So you can see, the higher end models enjoy a far greater dollar cost divergence, compared to bought in US dollar prices.

These are base models, lowest GB storage, wifi.

Caveats: EU Vat rates vary across member State and also State taxes US, afaik are not applied to the US $ prices, I think are not applied to these prices, but EU VAT rate (sales tax) hover around 20% +/- 3%)

Even after all that, Apple US prices are the best value.

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
Ok for further comparison.

Full spec'd iPad Pro 12.9', 1TB, wifi + cellular, with Apple Care (no accessories
- €1,957.90

xe.com $2,308

Apple.com $1,649

diff +$659

Last edited:

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Apple is one of the very few companies (are there any others?) that will change your tablet battery (or rather swap you ipad) for around $100, that's not bad, especially for expensive devices...
I know. I was shocked that Surface Pro 7 with horrible battery life didn't offer battery replacement. One of the many reasons it went back to Costco.

Reactions: Broadus

blurryvision

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2020
Aside from all the differences, the new iPad Air seems to have a backlight bleed problem that the 2020 Pro doesn't have. I went to the Apple Store to get a replacement and the replacement device had a backlight issue that was worse than my current one. So I swapped it out for a 11" Pro and they let me keep the 20W charger with the Air. :)

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
Aside from all the differences, the new iPad Air seems to have a backlight bleed problem that the 2020 Pro doesn't have. I went to the Apple Store to get a replacement and the replacement device had a backlight issue that was worse than my current one. So I swapped it out for a 11" Pro and they let me keep the 20W charger with the Air. :)
Good to know!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.