Still Deciding - iMac or MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BigCatX, Dec 3, 2009.

1. BigCatX macrumors newbie

Decisions decisions... :eek:

Is it OK to run the MBP with the lid fully closed, or does this create a heat problem?

I have a 20.1" Formac Gallery 2010 TFT (1600x1200) with DVI connector - will this work out the box or do I need to purchase a seperate adapter? I read that the MBP now use a mini DV connector???

When I had a look last week in my local retail store (Curry's for anyone in the UK) the 15" MacBook had a model version of 5.5, whilst the 15" MBP had a model version of 5.4. This got me wondering - what is the latest version?

Are there likely to be any discounts in the near future that I should wait for?

Does anyone know if they are likely to discounted in the New Years sales?

2. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Your fine. I run mine as a desktop unit 98% of the time. It will occasionally heat up but the fan will kick on for a bit. I do turn mine off once in a while too. If you think it is running to hot, make sure you use a laptop stand. Walmart has these aluminum ones, they have a sort of grill on the bottom, mine breathes nice. Get a laptop cooler if you are worried. They are cheap enough.

Attached Files:

3. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

If you already have a display, I'd get the MBP- the portability is just so nice. You do need an adapter- miniDisplayPort to DVI- which they sell at the Apple Store for £20.00, but you might be able to get it for cheaper.

4. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I got mine for 6$us on amazon. : ) Works great.

5. 380988 Guest

Determine what your priorities are. Are you wanting a MBP more for the portability or the ability to use a monitor that you already have? In trying to decide between a laptop and a desktop, it seems like portability might not be the most important thing. If that is the case, you could even include a Mac Mini in your search. It would save you a lot of money, and allows you to make use of the display. The Mini also includes a mini-DVI to DVI adapter in the box. If in deciding that you do not need portability but really need a more powerful computer with much more storage space, I would recommend the iMac because it once again will save you money. If you are thinking about AppleCare as well, it costs a lot less for the iMac or Mac Mini.

All of your concerns would be no issue with what you want to do if you decide on the MBP, but if you don't need to move the computer around often then there are ways to save yourself a lot of money.

6. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I couldn't put on the price on the portability of the MBP. I'd go with the laptop if I had to choose. Until I could afford 2 machines, I had the MBP run in clamshell mode. If I had to go back to 1 machine, I'd do it again.