Still get iPhone now and the 5 next month?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PDFierro, Jul 31, 2011.

  1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #1
    The wait is killing me. I have had my phone upgrade since mid-June, and I do want to get an iPhone. Back then, I almost got the iPhone 4.

    It's so close, but I sort of really need a new phone now and could put an iPhone to good use. Plus, I'll be traveling in August. But the downside is that I'd be purchasing the iPhone 5 when it comes out anyway. How much money do you think I'd lose by selling the 4 and buying the 5 at full price?

    It seems stupid to buy now, but I guess if you need it.
     
  2. labman macrumors 604

    labman

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Location:
    Mich near Detroit
    #2
    if you buy it used then resell it you won't loose too much. if you are traveling out of country make sure it's unlockable. honestly most indications say new model will arrive in Sept.
     
  3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2011
    #3
    Do you REALLY need it?

    I've been there myself, I craved a new phone and almost drove myself nuts thinking about how crappy the phone I currently had was and how I needed that new phone immediately but like any sort of craving... It comes and then goes.

    I say wait the month for the 5, it'll be worth the months wait... Guaranteed :)
     
  4. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #4
    Getting a cheaper one on eBay or something instead of on-contract price is something I have considered. I was going to add that.

    And I guess I don't really need it at the moment, but it would most certainly help. My flip phone is on its last legs, cracked outside screen and damaged to hell but it will keep going. And I do have other phones I could replace it with, but an internet phone right now would help greatly.

    I guess if I don't mind spending the money, then why not. I will think about it, thanks!
     
  5. Reach9 macrumors 68020

    Reach9

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2010
    Location:
    In America
    #5
    You need a phone? Do the smart thing, and buy a prepaid or $0 phone, and wait for a couple months.
     
  6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #6
    Agreed. I wouldn't buy an iPhone now.
     
  7. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

    serialtoon

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2009
    Location:
    Long Beach
    #7
    No no no, you guys got it all wrong. What you do (this is what i did) is buy an Android phone for 200$ on craigslist, then sell that for 240-260$ or find someone to trade it straight up for an iPhone 4 (which is what i did). I bought a brand new T-Mobile G2X from someone for $280 on craigslist, then i flipped it for a brand new iPhone 4 16GB ;-) See what you need to do is feed on the stupid people on craigslist. I do it all day long. :p

    Alternative : Buy an iPhone 4 at an Apple store for your upgrade price, then return it in 30 days for a full refund plus you get your upgrade back.

    Alternative Part Deux : You buy the iPhone 4 full price at Best Buy and return it within the return period. Being that i have a Best Buy Premium card for purchasing so many things there, i have a 45 day window to return things, full refund, no restocking fee. If you live outside of California you get 14 days..but still.

    There are many ways to attain an iPhone 4. Think of it as a borrowing situation.
     
  8. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

    Big D 51

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2011
    Location:
    Mobile, AL
    #8
    If it was me, I would, but that's me.
    Someone will buy your iPhone 4. You may take a little loss so I guess it depends if you can afford the loss.

    Good luck on your decision.
     
  9. boshii macrumors 68040

    boshii

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
  10. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #10
    I just have a regular flip phone now. I guess if I can afford the loss, then I should do it if I really want to. Thinking about it.
     
  11. dave006 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2008
    #11
    Well since you are looking a purchasing the next iPhone at full price why not just purchase a factory unlocked iPhone 4 now at full price of $749.00 from Apple and then when the new iPhone comes out you can sell your existing unlocked iPhone 4 and purchase the iPhone 5 using your upgrade.

    A factory unlocked iPhone 4 will have the highest resale value after the next iPhone is released.

    Dave
     
  12. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009

Share This Page